Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
You know that never occurred to me, but it does make sense.
We call it capitalism, and it works pretty good.
You should try it out.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:14 AM   #17
davew

you have nothing to worry about, those claims of increase are surely exaggerated. Biden has brought inflation down.

So if the landlords say cost of heating has gone up 50%, water/sewer/garbage has gone up 20%, property taxes up 15%, electricity up 15% and new appliances up 30% just tell them they are LYING - heating was that high one year under 0bama and pres Joe says inflation is under control and you should be grandfathered in because you have lived there more than 20 years..

You just got the highest COLA for social security EVER, if that does not cover it maybe move to one of those new government subsidized income restricted units that keep popping up.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 10:36 AM   #18
Bustin Stones

In vibrant job markets, the rents are bid up and the only way to get off that carousel is to buy something.
In NE Ohio, we've been down so long, we don't experience rent creep. It actually can make sense to find a decent rental and stay there long term. But, I wouldn't move somewhere just because cost of living is low. It's better to go where there is work and find something to buy.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #19
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Last fall, my son's two bedroom rent went from 855 to 1175. He's trying to save for a house, but rates have also halted those plans.

So he and my granddaughter are moving in with his mother and I. Drastic measure, but happy to be able to help them.
I am doing the same for my daughters family. They too have been trying to buy a home. Getting blasted out of the water for not having enough down payment. I really enjoy having the grand boys around. Not charging them anything. Small sacrifice for my home to be whole again.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 01:27 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

As mentioned utilities are up and it is my understanding a lot of apartments include some or all utilities. Also with interest rates increasing a lot of people are probably putting off buying their first home, taking up the apartment rental market. I would think the typical home buyer did not come from a one bedroom apartment.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 03:22 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As mentioned utilities are up and it is my understanding a lot of apartments include some or all utilities. Also with interest rates increasing a lot of people are probably putting off buying their first home, taking up the apartment rental market. I would think the typical home buyer did not come from a one bedroom apartment.
Speaking of utilities my gas bill is up 150% at y business. Nothing I can do about it.

I Just got off the phone with my trash pickup company………for my business….they raised my rate 23% this last month.

I was told it was all about fuel and basic inflation. I told them I was going to start shopping the little guys in the area (the company I use now is a huge National corp) and they transferred me to an account rep.

In the end I negotiated a new 3 yr deal at 5% increases the next 3 years as the max. 5% this year and 5% the 2 after that. You have to chase every damn penny when in business
Old 03-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #22
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
you have nothing to worry about, those claims of increase are surely exaggerated. Biden has brought inflation down.

So if the landlords say cost of heating has gone up 50%, water/sewer/garbage has gone up 20%, property taxes up 15%, electricity up 15% and new appliances up 30% just tell them they are LYING - heating was that high one year under 0bama and pres Joe says inflation is under control and you should be grandfathered in because you have lived there more than 20 years..

You just got the highest COLA for social security EVER, if that does not cover it maybe move to one of those new government subsidized income restricted units that keep popping up.
Yeah, that COLA increase has been very helpful. I’m not saying the landlord shouldn’t be able to raise the rent. I was just wondering about the $100 difference between two similar, if not identical apartments.

As for me, my lease is up the end of September and I really don’t know what my increase will be. The good news is my last car payment is Feb. 2024, which frees up $434 a month. DO NOT TELL MY LANDLORD.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:55 PM   #23
davew

September is MONTHS away, so many things could happen in the world ....

I forgot insurance costs, manager and repairman labor costs, increased interest if building loan tied to prime ....

but don't worry, tell them Biden administration says millionaires should absorb these extra costs.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 06:58 PM   #24
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Epic Collapse just Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
September is MONTHS away, so many things could happen in the world ....

I forgot insurance costs, manager and repairman labor costs, increased interest if building loan tied to prime ....

but don't worry, tell them Biden administration says millionaires should absorb these extra costs.
Unless there's a full-scale overthrow of the Deep State immediately, we'll never see September....

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 03-30-2023 at 07:02 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 08:45 PM   #25
chrisl

Being a landlord is terrible. Tenants have all the rights. I had a few, years ago. Best thing I did was to get rid of them. They trash your unit, you fight for the rent. Try evicting someone. Fixing shit that they break 24/7. You give people breaks, help them out, and get burned. I was way to nice to be in that game.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #26
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
With the cost of houses these days, it's prudent. On of my other sons also did the same thing a few years back. Doing so for 18 to 24 months is a big financial swing for him, which will put him over the top for his down payment goal.
Good on you and Richie. I'm doing this for a stepson (going on 5yrs, he finishes at SFA next fall). I'll miss my granddaughter but not my stepson when they move

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 09:47 PM   #27
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I am doing the same for my daughters family. They too have been trying to buy a home. Getting blasted out of the water for not having enough down payment. I really enjoy having the grand boys around. Not charging them anything. Small sacrifice for my home to be whole again.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2023, 09:48 PM   #28
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Being a landlord is terrible. Tenants have all the rights. I had a few, years ago. Best thing I did was to get rid of them. They trash your unit, you fight for the rent. Try evicting someone. Fixing shit that they break 24/7. You give people breaks, help them out, and get burned. I was way to nice to be in that game.
Been there done that. I sold all mine about 6 yrs ago……

6 months ago I bought a 3 bed 2 bath new unit for one of my managers. He rents from me now. I give him an incredible deal.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:05 PM   #29
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Been there done that. I sold all mine about 6 yrs ago……

6 months ago I bought a 3 bed 2 bath new unit for one of my managers. He rents from me now. I give him an incredible deal.
Generous acts like that are very rare these days. I am sure he appreciates that.
I am such a bleeding heart at times. I was to nice.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:17 PM   #30
fast4522

Quote:
Generous acts like that are very rare these days. I am sure he appreciates that.
I am such a bleeding heart at times. I was to nice.
Ralph is a shrewd businessman, not likely to lose a dime on a move like that. And at the same time have a level of self insurance his team will be there if he or his wife need or both need some down time. The effort goes unspoken of hours put into a business and the vacations missed.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: