Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #871
pandy
Registered User
 
pandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA.
Posts: 7,212
Pletcher

Pletcher got hit with a $3,000 fine and 45 day suspenson for Mepivacaine, a class 2 drug, back in 2004. Since then he's had about a dozen minor positives. Personally, I think he's profoundly more honest than Baffert. Although Pletcher is the all time leader in purse money won, his horses rarely, if ever, run freakish races like Baffert's. If a Pletcher horse gets used in a fast pace, the horse either tires and loses, or, if it's a really good horse, it hangs on but is clearly tiring late. Baffert has had many horses get used in a fast pace and they look fresh as a daisy in the final eighth. That's the drugs.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2021, 11:55 PM   #872
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 45,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
He doesn't exactly have as pristine a history with drug overages as a couple of other top trainers often mentioned here as the gold standard of clean. Some people have also questioned some of the performances in Florida and other events.
He also had the group (three?) of suspicious horse deaths in a short span that included Left Bank.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #873
Elkchester Road
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Near Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
I just thought it was funny that he was on there



I mean it would be cool to get Larry Collmus to do some announcing type thing for a birthday or party but I saw the sample that Bob Baffert did for someone's birthday and he said "Happy birthday to so and so! I heard you were a owner of Authentic" and he went on about being a owner and his horses rather than wishing someone a happy birthday
Absolutely!!!
__________________
Just when you least expect it...just what you least expect-The Pet Shop Boys.
Elkchester Road is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #874
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Pletcher got hit with a $3,000 fine and 45 day suspenson for Mepivacaine, a class 2 drug, back in 2004. Since then he's had about a dozen minor positives. Personally, I think he's profoundly more honest than Baffert. Although Pletcher is the all time leader in purse money won, his horses rarely, if ever, run freakish races like Baffert's. If a Pletcher horse gets used in a fast pace, the horse either tires and loses, or, if it's a really good horse, it hangs on but is clearly tiring late. Baffert has had many horses get used in a fast pace and they look fresh as a daisy in the final eighth. That's the drugs.
The drug Baffert is trouble for is minor...

what are Bafferts Class 1 and Class 2 violations so we can compare apples to apples.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #875
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan
 
Psychotic Parakeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 303
So when will Medina Spirit get DQ'd from the Derby?
__________________
"And there they go! It's Toupée going on ahead, Long Underwear has fallen behind, Toothpaste is being squeezed out on the rail as Banana joins the bunch, and Cabbage is trailing by a head."
Psychotic Parakeet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 12:04 AM   #876
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
So when will Medina Spirit get DQ'd from the Derby?
The longer we go, the worse it is. Guilty people almost always benefit from delay.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #877
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 17,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
So when will Medina Spirit get DQ'd from the Derby?
2024?
__________________
“Truth is Treason in an Empire of Lies”
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #878
Vinnie
Registered User
 
Vinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Spaghetti Junction and Frustration Blvd.
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
So when will Medina Spirit get DQ'd from the Derby?
That's a very interesting question. The split sample came back positive. Or, will this be yet another Justify kind of situation where the findings simply get brushed under the rug?
__________________
Warm Regards,

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #879
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
That's a very interesting question. The split sample came back positive. Or, will this be yet another Justify kind of situation where the findings simply get brushed under the rug?
It's hard to know what KHRC is thinking. One possibility is that they are spooked by Baffert's lawyers and their litigiousness. But the weird thing about that is they weren't spooked at all by Gary and Mary West's litigiousness two years ago.

Another possibility is they are going to give him a light suspension, and to do that, you want to drag this out as far as possible and let the public outrage die down.

They can't sweep it completely under the rug, because the only reason CHRB was able to do that when Baffert stole the Santa Anita Derby (and eventually the Triple Crown) with Justify was because the test results were never made public, allowing the CHRB to commit the felony of holding a secret meeting to change the regulation and legalize Baffert's cheating. By the time it came out, there was little that could be done (though I am still rooting for Mick Ruis' longshot suit).

Here, they are going to have to at least disqualify the horse. That's mandatory, and everyone knows it. But if they want to give Baffert a slap on the wrist beyond that, they want to wait as long as possible to do it so that it fades from the news.

In contrast, if their intention is to give a harsh punishment, you want to do it when everyone is still outraged, and not worry about the inevitable lawsuit (which KHRC will win anyway). So if they actually are going to hit Baffert hard, it's a mistake to wait.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #880
Vinnie
Registered User
 
Vinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Spaghetti Junction and Frustration Blvd.
Posts: 1,734
Many interesting points and thoughts you have put forth dilanesp. I hadn't previously thought about some of the angles or possible motivations you presented. Excellent post!!
__________________
Warm Regards,

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #881
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 17,812
Everything may be on hold until they get the urine test results.
__________________
“Truth is Treason in an Empire of Lies”
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #882
pandy
Registered User
 
pandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA.
Posts: 7,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
The drug Baffert is trouble for is minor...

what are Bafferts Class 1 and Class 2 violations so we can compare apples to apples.
Baffert did get caught with Morphine once. But if you look at his record of horse deaths and 31 drug violations, I don't think we need much more evidence that he's a cheater. Of course, there's also the fact that he has had many horses run insanely fast races to the point where it's extremely suspicious.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #883
Vinnie
Registered User
 
Vinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Spaghetti Junction and Frustration Blvd.
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Baffert did get caught with Morphine once. But if you look at his record of horse deaths and 31 drug violations, I don't think we need much more evidence that he's a cheater. Of course, there's also the fact that he has had many horses run insanely fast races to the point where it's extremely suspicious.
Can anyone remember any other trainer in recent memory that is even close to having horses that seem to so regularly running literally out of their skin types of performances such as Baffert? Are there any other trainers that would be considered close to being within his realm regarding these types of shenanigans?
__________________
Warm Regards,

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #884
the little guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Can anyone remember any other trainer in recent memory that is even close to having horses that seem to so regularly running literally out of their skin types of performances such as Baffert? Are there any other trainers that would be considered close to being within his realm regarding these types of shenanigans?
Do you actually follow racing on a day to day basis?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #885
Vinnie
Registered User
 
Vinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Spaghetti Junction and Frustration Blvd.
Posts: 1,734
Hey TLG:

If you are intimating that essentially all of them are a mess nowadays, well, I hear you!!
__________________
Warm Regards,

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wagering Pool with best chance to find an overlay.
Win - 36.36%
20 Votes
Place - 3.64%
2 Votes
Show - 9.09%
5 Votes
Exacta - 30.91%
17 Votes
Trifecta - 7.27%
4 Votes
Superfexta - 1.82%
1 Vote
Pick(x) - 10.91%
6 Votes
Hi 5 Pentafecta - 0%
0 Votes
Total Votes: 55
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2021 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.