Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #5491
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
During the rally in Tulsa, Trump said:

"When you do testing to that extent, you're going to find more people. You're going to find more cases. So I said to my people 'Slow the testing down, please.'"

I know that Biden is senile...that's why he talks like a fool. What's TRUMP'S excuse?
For your edumucation...

MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #5492
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
For your edumucation...

He should hire you as his press agent.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #5493
thaskalos

Hey, Margie...could it be that Biden has a "dry humor" too?
Old 06-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #5494
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Hey, Margie...could it be that Biden has a "dry humor" too?
Can you come up with an example?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 02:33 AM   #5495
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
We are in the peak of new cases here in Arizona, interesting despite a large retiree group we are only at 2% death rate among positives. I think New York/NewJersey/Michigan was 10%. Not sure there is a definitive reason.
As you say, Covid-19 cases and deaths are now spiking dramatically not only in Arizona, but also Texas and Florida. In general, I think it's unwise to for any region to compare its Covid-19 stats with those in the NY metro area, since it was hit harder than any place on earth by the disease. There are a few obvious and basic reasons for this: from Jan.-ca. March 21, no one knew about the disease, and therefore no preventive measures were taken. The NY metropolitan area also has the highest population density in the country, along with a matching transit system, which no doubt spread the disease widely during these early months. The same is true for cities like Boston, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., which experienced similar outbreaks.

When it did hit, it was with a vengeance, hospitals were overwhelmed -- medical personnel were unsure how to deal with a disease which presented in myriad forms. And in March, when very few test kits were available, and testing was moving at a snail's pace, it was almost impossible for those that thought they had Covid-19 symptoms to be tested. At the same time, many peope were dying in the corridors of hospitals wth the disease and others were showing up in ambulances DOA. Many who contracted the disease didn't get tested, since they thought they had a cold, maybe a slight case of pneumonia. There were far too few ICU beds and ventilators for those who needed them.

But even though people in these other states had a few months to observe and learn from what was taking place in the northeast, they thought the same thing couldn't possibly happen there. A friend in Tucson tells me that only about 25% of the population is wearing masks. And now the hospitals in Arizona are overwhelmed. It really didn't have to be this way.

If herd immunity is what the U.S. is now aiming at, it means that somewhere in the vicinity of 100k citizens of Arizona will have to die to achieve that goal. Hope no one here is one of them.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 AM   #5496
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
At the time Mike lauded Mexico's do nothing approach with very low infections early on back in early March, he also was giggling "the flu laughs at coronavirus", since at that time the epicenters were in only the US and Europe, and total world fatalities 2-3 months in, were much lower than the entire 18 month long 69-69 seasonal flu. He never considered Russia, Africa or South America to grow to what it is today.

Brazil?? Another contrarian non-epidemiologist leading his people in the wrong direction claiming to know. Oh well a bit north the Honduran President has been hospitalized With COVID-19.

Wonder how many Trump administration bigwigs are goin' to be at Tulsa?
Let me know when the worldwide death toll goes past 600,000...

We're six months into this thing...and it still hasn't passed the flu yet...468k and counting.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #5497
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
There were far too few ICU beds and ventilators for those who needed them.

A friend in Tucson tells me that only about 25% of the population is wearing masks. And now the hospitals in Arizona are overwhelmed. It really didn't have to be this way.
Nobody is concerned about that.

Yes it's the Typhoid Mary selfish approach: "I'm goin' about my merry way and if you are more prone to die then too bad...stay home and outa my way."

We already threw the most vulnerable people in our society to the sharks (nursing homes, long term care environment........the moneyswine felt good about passing legis. that no lawsuits can be brought.

So what if health care workers are overburdened and end up dying taking care of people who "didn't have to die"......

And everyone here refuses to look at the numbers and graphs for "excess deaths. " Start looking at those, and compare to the last 5 seasonal flu seasons. (You will get an eye opener. )

Here'es what's going to happen: IMH: the rest of the world will continue to look at our numbers, with *increasing alarm*. And this will seriously impact our economic recovery. Both domestically and internationally.

When nobody feels confident putting their top people on planes or sending them here to meet with our top people, then people will "get it". When they start boycotting our Tyson chicken and other stuff, people will "get it".

You make yourself radioactive, everyone stops playing with you.

Nobody wants to visit the USA when it's the covid-19 HOT ZONE of the world.

And they will do that with restaurants, gatherings, sporting events, business meetings, etc. as will many citizens inside our nation itself.

=============

During this time, a truly inspired forward looking leader would have had massive training programs starting up so that we can make bringing back manufacturing to the U.S. (which we found out is vital since we ran out of so many things during pandemic).......specialized skills, doing massive re-desigining of dead factories here, educating future workers.

Instead the top 1% just got richer, they are cashing in on corona.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #5498
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
with Trump its just an act. he likes to sound dumber than the people that come out for him, look at Tulsa, there were actually over 6000 people that came for him in an enclosed building and hardly any of them wore a mask. not only that , they all had to sign waivers not to sue him when they get sick.

i think its time everyone gives Trump credit for being a genius, head and heals over the rest of us.
He certainly acts dumb. Dumber then he really is, is highly debatable. His supporters have suggested he plays "3 dimensional chess".

Rather, a solid case might be made for 1 dimensional tic-tac-toe, often mistaking the "X's" for the "O's".

Last edited by hcap; 06-22-2020 at 05:14 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #5499
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Let me know when the worldwide death toll goes past 600,000...

We're six months into this thing...and it still hasn't passed the flu yet...468k and counting.
I suspect there are *reasons* you want to continue to use this very elementary one-to-one raw number comparison with seasonal flu, but I assume it suits some kind of belief or agenda you have.

Maybe you can explain how your numbers:
---account for people who died at home
---how your numbers compute the different ways states as well as nations count as a covid-19 or seasonal flu death and what doesn’t count (you do realize there is no uniform approach taken to collecting the figures?)
--) how your numbers rely or don't rely on people having been tested for the both covid and seasonal flu and how you are handling the ones where there are no tests done
--) how your numbers differentiate between people who died because they caught covid and “indirect deaths” from the epidemic, as well as how your numbers differentiate between people who died because they caught seasonal flu and indirect deaths from seasonal flu
--) how your numbers show who died OF covid-19 and who died WITH covid-19; ditto same thing for seasonal flu

there are a hundred other reasons why your comparison doesn't work, but I'll jsut watch you continue to try to make some kind of point here. .
Old 06-22-2020, 05:38 AM   #5500
lamboguy

yesterday, sunday, massachusetts had 125 confirmed cases of corona with 30 total deaths. Arizona had 2500 confirmed with only 1 death. Florida had 3500 new cases with 17 deaths.

if these numbers are somewhat correct, it is saying that massachusetts either classifies more deaths as being from the corona or did a better job of keeping the patients alive longer after they have been infected by the virus. at one point 5 weeks ago mass. was coming in with 3000 new cases a day and 500 deaths. be that as it may, unfortunately we might be within a couple of weeks of a spike in deaths from this thing.

the people of mass. did a bang up job with this virus separating the sick from the healthy. that is the only way to stop the spread. don't get me wrong, mass. is still at risk from a spike with many other places just starting to get into rough shape with the virus. an asymptomatic person can travel to mass. and start spreading.
hopefully the state is ready for any spike and is able to separate right away .
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #5501
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
with Trump its just an act. he likes to sound dumber than the people that come out for him, look at Tulsa, there were actually over 6000 people that came for him in an enclosed building and hardly any of them wore a mask. not only that , they all had to sign waivers not to sue him when they get sick.

Its saying that they don't believe what they are pushing, i..e. that non-mask wearing and lack of social distancing doesn't present a huge risk to increase the spread of covid-19.

One thing is for certain: the legal risk is being shifted over to customers/consumers/supporters. There is no attempt to make it a shared responsibiity....... sign away your right to sue before you even bring a suit.

I have to laugh when a company wants my trust and partnership and money, but wants to not have any responsibility on their side at all.

Most of these things won't hold up in court anyway, but it will create a flurry of paperwork.

At any rate, I'm not really much into the covid thing at this point, i was in Feb and March but things have gone the way they're gonna go now, based on the measures we took or didn't take, and you can't "separate the sick from the healthy" if you don't do massive testing and contact tracing.

Everyone has a choice of what they want to do, where they want to spend their money, etc.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-22-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #5502
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Nobody is concerned about that.

Yes it's the Typhoid Mary selfish approach: "I'm goin' about my merry way and if you are more prone to die then too bad...stay home and outa my way."

We already threw the most vulnerable people in our society to the sharks (nursing homes, long term care environment........the moneyswine felt good about passing legis. that no lawsuits can be brought.

So what if health care workers are overburdened and end up dying taking care of people who "didn't have to die"......

And everyone here refuses to look at the numbers and graphs for "excess deaths. " Start looking at those, and compare to the last 5 seasonal flu seasons. (You will get an eye opener. )

Here'es what's going to happen: IMH: the rest of the world will continue to look at our numbers, with *increasing alarm*. And this will seriously impact our economic recovery. Both domestically and internationally.

When nobody feels confident putting their top people on planes or sending them here to meet with our top people, then people will "get it". When they start boycotting our Tyson chicken and other stuff, people will "get it".

You make yourself radioactive, everyone stops playing with you.

Nobody wants to visit the USA when it's the covid-19 HOT ZONE of the world.

And they will do that with restaurants, gatherings, sporting events, business meetings, etc. as will many citizens inside our nation itself.

=============

During this time, a truly inspired forward looking leader would have had massive training programs starting up so that we can make bringing back manufacturing to the U.S. (which we found out is vital since we ran out of so many things during pandemic).......specialized skills, doing massive re-desigining of dead factories here, educating future workers.

Instead the top 1% just got richer, they are cashing in on corona.
I’ve yet to wear a mask, nor has anyone in our office. Yet, none of our 65 employees nor any of our many vulnerable clients have contracted COVID, and we are in a COVID hotbed area. Why? Just dumb luck? Any chance the govt is overselling the mask thing? Do masks give a false sense of security? Is hand washing more important? Is not touching your face more important? Any chance that masks give a false security so that people are not as diligent in other preventative measures? It seems like masks are more a “you’re with the good guys“ virtue signaling than an essential tool against the virus. Does it help? Yes but only in conjunction with other more important concepts.

When you say “we” put vulnerable people in nursing homes, don’t you mean the democratic governors in NY, NJ, and PA? Most people knew in early March when death swept through the WA nursing home that nursing homes were a death trap.

Last edited by tucker6; 06-22-2020 at 06:38 AM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #5503
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Most people knew in early March when death swept through the WA nursing home that nursing homes were a death trap.
So we knew in advance, in early March.

Thank you.

So basically nursing homes are death traps and that there are no practices that work in them---- Because if that is true, then hospitals would be filled with nothing but dying people left and right. And they're not because proper procedures are practiced.

And keep pretending it was only certain states. Its not.

But I do find it interesting that the "politics" of it is more important to you than anything else. That's a shame.

Quote:
Do masks give a false sense of security?
Since masks aren't worn to protect the wearer, so not sure why you posed this question.

Next time you have surgery, ask the doctors and nurses not to wear a mask. Since you don't think they are overly significant

Quote:
I’ve yet to wear a mask, nor has anyone in our office. Yet, none of our 65 employees nor any of our many vulnerable clients have contracted COVID, and we are in a COVID hotbed area
Per your vulnerable clients, I assume they are not being treated by "office staff", correct? So are you sending staff to care for them w/out PPE and masks?

Are the 65 employees "office staff" or are you talking about those you send out for care duties? Do you have 65 employees sitting around together in office all day? Too much information missing for me to access your situation let alone your claims of luck, etc.

At any rate, the more cases we have, the longer our economic recovery will last. On that you can depend. This is just common sense.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-22-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #5504
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I suspect there are *reasons* you want to continue to use this very elementary one-to-one raw number comparison with seasonal flu, but I assume it suits some kind of belief or agenda you have.
Yes, there are reasons.

It's simple. It proves a point. And it irks people like you.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #5505
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yes, there are reasons.

It's simple. It proves a point. And it irks people like you.

Since you were unable to answer any of my questions about your numbers, I'll just assume you're taking a pass on verifying them in any meaningful mathematical or epidemiological way, or even explaining your theory behind such a simplistic analysis. .

Your "model" is sorta funny to me, that's all. What's even funnier is that you believe you've proved something.