Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
burnsy
self medicated

Fitz Magic

Brian Flores is doing great as a head coach . The only thing I don’t like is that he starts Tua. That offense was going nowhere yesterday. He hesitated constantly, they could do nada. Fitz comes in and immediately they look like a different team. He gets the pace going and the decisions come so much faster. The ball comes out on a dime. Miami has half a chance this year. Go with the experience. Tua needs time to develop. Starting him could blow an opportunity. Cause the defenses are just gonna harder to read. That come back was unbelievable last night. Fitz Magical! Being a Bills fan I’m glad to see him do well.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
ultracapper

Raiders should have tried to punch it in on 3rd down at the 1 yard line. If they would have got it in, they would have left a little more time on the clock, but Miami would have needed a TD instead of the FG.

We watch Pete Carroll mismanage the clock and 2 minute strategy up here all the time. Good to see others flub it now and then also. NFL coaching is starting to get too cute now and then during game time. When you're afraid to score a TD because you're afraid what the other team might do with 20 extra seconds, you're in a sad place.

Blaming Gurley was chickensh!t weeks ago, in my opinion. Get your D out there with a lead and shut the other team down for 90 seconds for God's sake.

Last edited by ultracapper; 12-27-2020 at 03:07 PM.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Raiders should have tried to punch it in on 3rd down at the 1 yard line. If they would have got it in, they would have left a little more time on the clock, but Miami would have needed a TD instead of the FG.

We watch Pete Carroll mismanage the clock and 2 minute strategy up here all the time. Good to see others flub it now and then also. NFL coaching is starting to get too cute now and then during game time. When you're afraid to score a TD because you're afraid what the other team might do with 20 extra seconds, you're in a sad place.

Blaming Gurley was chickensh!t weeks ago, in my opinion. Get your D out there with a lead and shut the other team down for 90 seconds for God's sake.
I tend to agree that some of these decisions lean into overthinking category.

In this instance I believe it was the correct decision, 15 seconds to go and needed a miracle blind heave plus a facemask penalty to get onto field goal range.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
ultracapper

Yea, it took a total freak play to beat them, but.....

If the Raiders score a TD and make a 2 pt conversion, they have a 7 pt lead with less than a minute left. If they miss the conversion, still a 5 pt lead with a minute left. If they get stuffed on 3rd and 1, we end up with the exact same situation that ensued.

The 49ers were watching the clock with half of the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl last year. Look how that worked out. I prefer a team that plays football for 60 minutes rather than one that plays football only until they want to play hide and seek for a few minutes.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
Cuffdaddy

I cannot disagree, I prefer teams to remain aggressive and believe it is more of a benefit in the long run. Much like a prevent defense that rarely prevents much expect what you are trying to prevent.

49rs really messed that up by trying to play safe.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:07 AM   #6
ultracapper

When the prevent defense was theorized back in the day by Paul Brown or Weeb Ewbank or Tom Landry or whoever came up with it, it was a great idea. NFL offenses were designed to run it down your throat and then stretch the field and pop you in the mouth with a big gain. Since the West Coast offense and it's derivatives have been implemented with all the check downs and timing routes and swing/fade routes, the prevent defense plays right into the offense's hands. For most of these QBs facing a prevent D is like their Friday afternoon walk through. The defense is now allowing the offense to do what they've been trying to do all game long, move the ball at moderate and intermediate chunks. Add the fact that all but a handful of FG kickers can get 55 yards or more on just about any kick, well, you may as well just stick a needle in your eye. I wouldn't call for an all out blitz or anything, but Greg Williams, in my opinion anyway, was thinking in the right direction anyway. You have to keep the pressure on the QB to some extent or these QBs nowadays will move the ball 50 yards in about 5 heartbeats.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
pandy

Luckily I turned the game on with 10 minutes to go. Amazing Fitzmagic.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wild game!

right now Fitzpatrick is the better QB.

Tua is a dice roll.

Tua is somewhat of an interesting situation. At a casual glance, he appears to be a champion, dual-threat, high-talent type.

But he's actually a 'game manager'.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Luckily I turned the game on with 10 minutes to go. Amazing Fitzmagic.
Nice to see him getting some credit for longevity if nothing else....One of the biggest surprises of the year this team
Old 12-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
vents much expect what you are trying to prevent.

49rs really messed that up by trying to play safe.
Partly true but so many are hurt on that team
Old 12-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Partly true but so many are hurt on that team
Was referring to and replying to comment about when 49rs played it safe in last year's Superbowl.

This year's team is very decimated.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Wild game!

right now Fitzpatrick is the better QB.

Tua is a dice roll.

Tua is somewhat of an interesting situation. At a casual glance, he appears to be a champion, dual-threat, high-talent type.

But he's actually a 'game manager'.
Heard that the reason this works is that Fitz and Tua like each other, with Fitz being the ultimate class act.

That in combination with the fact that HC Brian Flores is in constant communication with those two the entire week with regards to expectations makes it work.

Suppose next year he let's Tua play thru his mishaps.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Yea, it took a total freak play to beat them, but.....

If the Raiders score a TD and make a 2 pt conversion, they have a 7 pt lead with less than a minute left. If they miss the conversion, still a 5 pt lead with a minute left. If they get stuffed on 3rd and 1, we end up with the exact same situation that ensued.

The 49ers were watching the clock with half of the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl last year. Look how that worked out. I prefer a team that plays football for 60 minutes rather than one that plays football only until they want to play hide and seek for a few minutes.
Even watching live I thought it was moronic to kneel down. These "miracles" we see to get late field goals with little time left aren't really that rare, but coaches always seem to forget them. Play to win and you usually do, Play safe, and it usually bites you in the ass.

As for the thread topic, starting Tua is just stupid. Miami is a damn good team that has less chance to win when Tua starts at this point in his career. He is a rookie coming off a horrific injury, what is the rush? Not playing in year one didn't seem to hinder Mahomes and he wasn't even injured.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Even watching live I thought it was moronic to kneel down. These "miracles" we see to get late field goals with little time left aren't really that rare, but coaches always seem to forget them. Play to win and you usually do, Play safe, and it usually bites you in the ass.

As for the thread topic, starting Tua is just stupid. Miami is a damn good team that has less chance to win when Tua starts at this point in his career. He is a rookie coming off a horrific injury, what is the rush? Not playing in year one didn't seem to hinder Mahomes and he wasn't even injured.
This one was truly a miracle, a no look 40 yard heave with the no look part due to a vicious facemask penalty. That is what made it rare, am with you that playing to win is my preference but Gruden believed the call gave his team the best chance to win.

Tua is 7-2 as the starter if you include the Raiders game with his two losses being against KC and in Denver. Fitz is a gamer but there is a reason he has bounced around many teams, he throws in huge stinkers and is a gunslinger. Miami has a very good defense so perhaps this way is their best chance to win with a more controlled approach.

I do like what the head coach has done with managing if and when he pulls Tua. Fitz is the ultimate spark when needed and knows his role.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Heard that the reason this works is that Fitz and Tua like each other, with Fitz being the ultimate class act.

That in combination with the fact that HC Brian Flores is in constant communication with those two the entire week with regards to expectations makes it work.

Suppose next year he let's Tua play thru his mishaps.
That's great.

You want both guys to believe they are the best, and to prove it every chance they get.

However, if a guy like Fitz is willing to tutor and support the draft pick, who they hope to be a long-time marketable franchise QB, it's a winning move.

That's what winners do. It can get contagious.

I haven't really watched a ton of this season. I know the Patriots are off of that division lead, and the Bills and Dolphins have capitalized pretty well to have nice years. I've noticed (without checking every team, or considering advanced stats or various metrics) that the Dolphins are one of the leading teams in fewest-points-allowed.

Do they have any chance as a playoff team?

Is Fitzpatrick signed into next year? There's a few teams who wouldn't mind having a QB controversy or flat out handing the reigns to a hot hand.