Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
snappit

Prince Khalid Abdullah has died

Prince Khalid Abdullah owner of such greats as Frankel, Enable and Dancing Brave has passed away. He had a tremendous impact on racing worldwide and has owned some tremendous horses apart from those mentioned above, including recently Arrogate in the US. I will never forget the great Dancing Brave and saw him many times at the track. His run to win the Arc in what was possibly the highest class race of all time will live long in my memory as will his controversial defeat in the Derby.

He always came across as gentleman in interviews and he will be missed.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
dilanesp

I've never been a big fan of the political valence of this sport being so reliant on brutal Middle Eastern dictatorships- and in that regard, I am also not a fan of labeling the brutal, awful, undeserving participants in such dictatorships as "gentlemen", as nothing stops these rich people from giving up their titles and taking their money and western educations and leaving these repressive systems- but purely from a sport perspective, the Prince has to rank among the great owners in the history of thoroughbred racing. His horses won everything.

Bottom line, he was a terrible person but a successful horse owner.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappit View Post
Prince Khalid Abdullah owner of such greats as Frankel, Enable and Dancing Brave has passed away. He had a tremendous impact on racing worldwide and has owned some tremendous horses apart from those mentioned above, including recently Arrogate in the US. I will never forget the great Dancing Brave and saw him many times at the track. His run to win the Arc in what was possibly the highest class race of all time will live long in my memory as will his controversial defeat in the Derby.

He always came across as gentleman in interviews and he will be missed.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy1U6zBlmK0
Well said. RIP
Old 01-13-2021, 11:32 PM   #4
SG4

The last thing I expected to see in that video of the 1986 Arc was Angel Cordero riding, let alone hitting the board.

Juddmonte has been at the forefront of breeding & racing excellence for a long time now, but to me it's always seemed like an invisible hand behind it all as I honestly can't ever remember seeing the prince or reading about him personally at all. I guess that's not a bad thing if you trust your trainers to do their jobs & take the glory. I have not seen anything mentioned about surviving family members or prospects for the operation down the road, would be a shame if it dispersed.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
biggestal99

Bred 108 grade and group one winners.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician

Contributed a lot of support for the game: good guy.

I had the experience of standing in front of him at the 1986 Breeder's Cup telling him that Dancing Brave wouldn't handle the turns and that Manila was the projected winner, pace wise...

Fun when you are right
Old 01-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post

I had the experience of standing in front of him at the 1986 Breeder's Cup telling him that Dancing Brave wouldn't handle the turns and that Manila was the projected winner, pace wise...

Fun when you are right
Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all
Old 01-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
The last thing I expected to see in that video of the 1986 Arc was Angel Cordero riding, let alone hitting the board.
Triptych, great race mare. Won the Champion Stakes a few days later and then ran respectably, splitting the field, in the BC Classic on dirt two weeks later.

Made a bold move on the far turn in the 1988 BC Turf actually clearing Great Communicator and Sunshine Forever (with Indian Skimmer on her hip) but something went amiss mid-stretch and the jock wrapped up on her late, easing the last furlong (still managed to finish 4th). Final career start after 40+ starts. Won the Champion or Irish Champion like 100 times.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all
Wore a shirt that asked "Dancing Brave can you handle these turns?"

Documented in the DRF publication The Greatest Show on Turf: A history of the Breeder's Cup," by Perry Lefko in Chapter 15, The Greatest Race?
Old 01-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:

Fun when you are right
Manila in that race was one of the great overlays of all time.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Wore a shirt that asked "Dancing Brave can you handle these turns?"

Documented in the DRF publication The Greatest Show on Turf: A history of the Breeder's Cup," by Perry Lefko in Chapter 15, The Greatest Race?
The funny thing is your username refers to another Euro horse who came over and burned a boatload of money in a BC race.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Triptych, great race mare. Won the Champion Stakes a few days later and then ran respectably, splitting the field, in the BC Classic on dirt two weeks later.

Made a bold move on the far turn in the 1988 BC Turf actually clearing Great Communicator and Sunshine Forever (with Indian Skimmer on her hip) but something went amiss mid-stretch and the jock wrapped up on her late, easing the last furlong (still managed to finish 4th). Final career start after 40+ starts. Won the Champion or Irish Champion like 100 times.

Yeah that was quite a career she had (and I can thank her for expanding the vocabulary of a young handicapper at the time). On other sporting attempts, Juddmonte also sent over the 3yo filly Jolypha to finish 3rd in the BC Classic in '92. Has any other 3 year old filly ever even entered the Classic, let alone in their first dirt attempt?? Fantastic effort, too bad she was pretty much a dud when left in the states afterwards.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #13
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The funny thing is your username refers to another Euro horse who came over and burned a boatload of money in a BC race.
The sweaty miler who was dripping at the start at Gulfstream, and yes I know, means EARTHQUAKE
Old 01-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #14
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Yeah that was quite a career she had (and I can thank her for expanding the vocabulary of a young handicapper at the time). On other sporting attempts, Juddmonte also sent over the 3yo filly Jolypha to finish 3rd in the BC Classic in '92. Has any other 3 year old filly ever even entered the Classic, let alone in their first dirt attempt?? Fantastic effort, too bad she was pretty much a dud when left in the states afterwards.
Jolypha was a full sister to Dancing Brave. Maybe they should have run him in the Classic in '86.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: