Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #16
Milkshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I believe the warrant was issued on the 27th of December. If they drew for riders prior than that I could understand. Attempted murder ( drive by shooting) and possession of Class 1 drugs are serious charges. Employers doing background checks was my point.
Do you honestly believe it is feasible/possible for a racing commission to perform a detailed criminal check (that includes a check for active warrants in every single state) on every single licensee (owners, trainers, jockeys) prior to each day's entries being drawn? Or even at the start of every meet or calendar year? The manpower, cost, and time consumption of that effort would be enormous.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I believe the warrant was issued on the 27th of December. If they drew for riders prior than that I could understand. Attempted murder ( drive by shooting) and possession of Class 1 drugs are serious charges.

Employers doing background checks was my point. Something racetracks should to to protect the public. Singled out Sam Houston because this affected them. But all tracks ( i believe) do not do background checks.

And as a bettor or owner or another jockey, would you want a someone on meth on the track. I doubt they drug test jocks unless they have a past history. Even than it is sporadic. Unlike a blow test for alcohol.

The attempted murder charge is of course alleged. If the track believes he was involved in the drive by shooting, possession of illegal Class 1 drugs and firearm they can ask him to clear the charges before allowing him to ride. If they feel he is innocent of all alleged charges because of circumstances we are not privy to, let him ride.

Point being due diligence needs to be done.
Isn't the due diligence part of getting a license to ride, train, own, etc? Also, warrants get issued all the time without people knowing it, even the person named on it. I think it probably a bit much to think tracks need to constantly check if someone has an outstanding arrest warrant.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
Boomer

Yes I do. Checking drug and criminal charges is not that difficult.

I don't care about owners, but jockeys would be a must IMO.

They must be as there are too many influences (bad) if they are not.

Many industries credential key employees. Not that difficult.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #19
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Isn't the due diligence part of getting a license to ride, train, own, etc? Also, warrants get issued all the time without people knowing it, even the person named on it. I think it probably a bit much to think tracks need to constantly check if someone has an outstanding arrest warrant.

Outstanding warrants are easy to retrieve.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #20
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker View Post
Do you honestly believe it is feasible/possible for a racing commission to perform a detailed criminal check (that includes a check for active warrants in every single state) on every single licensee (owners, trainers, jockeys) prior to each day's entries being drawn? Or even at the start of every meet or calendar year? The manpower, cost, and time consumption of that effort would be enormous.
There are some jobs believe or not that do things like this. One that comes to mind is the TSA job. They get daily reports ( even credit reports of employees) and if anything seems a bit off they investigate it right away and even temporarily suspend a job while doing so. They do random on location drug tests as well and if you test positive it’s an automatic termination. Now in regards to the horse race industry I think many of these checks are lackadaisical. I wouldn’t be surprised if a track investigated anything unless it made the news and then they would have to do it.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Outstanding warrants are easy to retrieve.
Ten minutes or less on the computer for all 50 states, Interpol takes a few hours. At least it did in 2010. The last time I did one with police resources

You can also do it via private companies as long as you pay up

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-06-2021 at 09:44 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #22
Milkshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Ten minutes or less on the computer for all 50 states, Interpol takes a few hours.
So just to play along, let's use some round, low-end numbers: Say you need to a 50-state warrant check on 20 jockeys, 30 trainers, and maybe 50 owners every time race entries are drawn at a place like Sam Houston to make sure someone a licensee didn't have a warrant issued for his arrest since the last day that entries were drawn.

At 10 minutes per check, you've just added 1,000 minutes (16+ hours) before the overnight can come out with clearance on everybody's warrant status.

And again, who's going to pay for this, and which already overtasked employees are going to be told to devote the time to do it?
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2021, 11:02 PM   #23
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker View Post
So just to play along, let's use some round, low-end numbers: Say you need to a 50-state warrant check on 20 jockeys, 30 trainers, and maybe 50 owners every time race entries are drawn at a place like Sam Houston to make sure someone a licensee didn't have a warrant issued for his arrest since the last day that entries were drawn.

At 10 minutes per check, you've just added 1,000 minutes (16+ hours) before the overnight can come out with clearance on everybody's warrant status.

And again, who's going to pay for this, and which already overtasked employees are going to be told to devote the time to do it?
No way you would do it every race day. Btw, I don’t think they need to do them often. Maybe a license renewal etc. And you’re not going to do Interpol every time. Only if they have traveled abroad

Last edited by JustRalph; 01-06-2021 at 11:03 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply