Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #61
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Not no reason. He broke through the gate badly after the flipped. So the stewards scratched him, which is basically SOP here.

Owner must have then complained.
Obviously that isn't what happened. I should probably read the rest of the thread first but this was a bad take.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #62
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameegray1 View Post
Stewards thought he broke through the gate and so scratched him and he was removed from the pool in some jurisdictions. They then realised he was actually released from the gate by an assistant starter and so was allowed to run. Californian rules state that once a horse has been removed from the pool due to an error the horse shall start but race for purse money only.

The worst mess-up I've seen so far in US horse racing. And I've seen some good ones!
If that is indeed the sequence, this is not a big deal (although it is a bad beat for certain bettors). The rules worked the way they are supposed to; the stewards thought, as I did, that he broke through the gate and looked bad doing it, and were trying to protect the integrity of the betting pools.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #63
Mr_Ed

I'm on my 2nd bucket of popcorn!
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #64
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
If that is indeed the sequence, this is not a big deal (although it is a bad beat for certain bettors). The rules worked the way they are supposed to; the stewards thought, as I did, that he broke through the gate and looked bad doing it, and were trying to protect the integrity of the betting pools.
Integrity in horse racing?
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 10:11 PM   #65
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Go ahead as long as the camera follows the horse as he bucked and stumbled breaking out of the gate.
He was let out of the gate because the horse next to him was ON THE GROUND. He didn't break through. Of course he bucked and stumbled because he wanted to run and the rider knew he had to restrain him.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #66
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
What was the stewards hurry to scratch him? They couldn't take another minute and make sure? Effing clown show and you think it is no big deal.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #67
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

That's my reaction. Some of the other jocks were already backed out and off; just take a few extra moments to understand what all was going on.

I've seen some gate flips close up, and they can be nasty. This one looked pretty crazy, but fortunately not as bad as it might have been.

And I have seen the wrong half of an entry scratched, and then allowed to run for purse only, and maybe one or two similar procedural mistakes prior to the race, but seeing one at the gate is a first for me.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #68
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What was the stewards hurry to scratch him? They couldn't take another minute and make sure? Effing clown show and you think it is no big deal.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #69
The_Turf_Monster

In horse racing, just as many calls work in your favor that don’t. It works itself out in the end with around 30,000 races to bet over the course of the year.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #70
Brass Hat

Almost never play multi-race wagers, but was going to the Harvard-Cornell hockey game, and put in bets before leaving the house.

My pick-4 was live to the 1,2,6,8, 14, heard about the kerfluffle when I got home. The Mrs. told me at the rink that the McPeek horse had won and the Appleby horses scratched.

Despite the irritation watching the race on tape, I felt at least I had handicapped the sequence OK except for too many non-contenders in the last leg.

Can't really bet on horse racing in a rink with terrible wi-fi.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #71
jameegray1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
In horse racing, just as many calls work in your favor that don’t. It works itself out in the end with around 30,000 races to bet over the course of the year.
Usually this is true, but try telling that to the poor sods who picked all the winners in their Pick 5 or even Pick 6 only to get paid out as a loser.
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 12:48 AM   #72
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
It is highly unlikely these things really even out. Extreme example, but a guy got DQed out of the Rainbow 6 for millions a few years ago. Think he has evened out yet?
Old 11-06-2021, 01:09 AM   #73
metro

These guys do a good job of explaining the situation.

A quick summation.... an on track vet was the one that made the decision to originally scratch Modern Games, this after them being behind the gate and thinking that they saw the horse break through the gate and assuming it would be physically unable to race. It was shortly thereafter that they realized the front of the gate had been opened, by the gate crew and not by the horse, that they again contacted the stewards confirming that the horse was okay to run after being observed. Stewards make decision to let the #1 run for purse money only.

If this had been the first race on the card, and not one that looked like it could be run in diminishing daylight, they would have had more time to make a better judgement call. Perfect storm for chaos, black eye for the sport.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 02:35 AM   #74
tundral

Clowns

These incompetent clowns 🤡 running show.You have a very experienced steward at Los Alamitos Tom Ward . Pete Peterson has to be turning in his grave .
tundral is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #75
depalma113

Quote:
Which you didn't happen to refute
Your nonsense earlier in the thread about how the horse broke through the gate was proven wrong. Your accusation that people “weren’t telling the truth”, was wrong. Then you claimed he stumbled and you saw it with your own eyes just proving you have some weird I am the authority complex. There are cameras everywhere, but your eye witness testimony is all that matters in your world. Now because you were wrong so many times in your early posts you have to throw in worst case scenarios to cover for your initial bad take. There is no need to refute it. It’s just garbage speculation in an effort to save face in your mind.

Any death at the Breeders Cup will be cannon fodder for the anti horse racing agenda. Hell the Los Angeles Times has a headline “Two horses die ahead of Breeders Cup”. It’s a pathetic misleading headline that has absolutely nothing to do with the event. Yet there it is.

Last edited by depalma113; 11-06-2021 at 05:56 AM.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: