Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #8011
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Google it.
I did. It's debatable whether any SCOTUS decision equates to recognizing atheism as a religion.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, that isn't true when merely postulating the existence of God.
Have you ever seen The Big Lebowski?

Last edited by Actor; 11-30-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #8012
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I did. It's debatable whether any SCOTUS decision equates to recognizing atheism as a religion.
If you say so...

Quote:
Have you ever seen The Big Lebowski?
Have you ever seen the Big Bang?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #8013
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yes, I have.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #8014
boxcar

Quote:
Yes, I have.
When you were on LSD?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #8015
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
The term "Big Bang" is commonly taken to mean the great expansion. The term "Big Bang" was introduced into the lexicon by a layman and, unfortunately, adopted by the scientific community as a term for the great expansion, a still ongoing phenomenon.

In the scientific community the term "to see" means to detect something, possibly with the aid of instrumentation. It is possible to detect the red shift with rather inexpensive instruments. Seeing the red shift is equivalent to "seeing" the great expansion, i.e., seeing the Big Bang. So yes, I have seen the Big Bang.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #8016
boxcar

Quote:
The term "Big Bang" is commonly taken to mean the great expansion. The term "Big Bang" was introduced into the lexicon by a layman and, unfortunately, adopted by the scientific community as a term for the great expansion, a still ongoing phenomenon.

In the scientific community the term "to see" means to detect something, possibly with the aid of instrumentation. It is possible to detect the red shift with rather inexpensive instruments. Seeing the red shift is equivalent to "seeing" the great expansion, i.e., seeing the Big Bang. So yes, I have seen the Big Bang.
No, you haven't. You've never seen the big firecracker in the sky. You've seen the effects of what you think WAS the Big Bang.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #8017
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
No, you haven't. You've never seen the big firecracker in the sky. You've seen the effects of what you think WAS the Big Bang.
  1. It's a model that explains all observable data. Do you have a better one?
  2. There was no explosion. The term "Big Bang" is a misnomer.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #8018
boxcar

Quote:
  1. It's a model that explains all observable data. Do you have a better one?
  2. There was no explosion. The term "Big Bang" is a misnomer.
Even if this is true, you did not observe the "big bang" (or expansion) when it began!

The big bang is how astronomers explain the way the universe began. It is the idea that the universe began as just a single point, then expanded and stretched to grow as large as it is right now—and it is still stretching!

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/big-bang/en/

You see, bunky, what is self-existent (eternal) in its essence never had a beginning. In fact, such and entity cannot have had a beginning by the very definition of eternal.

So...methinks that you need to come up with a better theory.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #8019
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
So...methinks that you need to come up with a better theory.
My present theory works very well. The problem is that you lack the education to understand it.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #8020
boxcar

Quote:
My present theory works very well. The problem is that you lack the education to understand it.
Your present guesses certainly don't align with NASA's. It's your lack of understanding of basic terms that derails your theory. NASA says the big bang had a beginning, so they're at odds with you coming right out of the chute.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #8021
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Your present guesses certainly don't align with NASA's. It's your lack of understanding of basic terms that derails your theory. NASA says the big bang had a beginning, so they're at odds with you coming right out of the chute.
Have you abandoned your belief that 6,000 years ago the universe was created in 6 days by a supernatural being?
Old 12-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #8022
boxcar

Quote:
Have you abandoned your belief that 6,000 years ago the universe was created in 6 days by a supernatural being?
This is not about my belief. It's about yours. You do not believe the universe had a beginning. You do believe that the universe is eternal (had no beginning and will have no end). What you believe puts you at odds with NASA -- and a whole slew of other scientists, as well.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #8023
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
This is not about my belief. It's about yours.
Nice try but the title of this thread is Religion, ergo it's about your belief. You are the one who brought up the Big Bang and that's a red herring. So answer the question.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #8024
boxcar

Quote:
Nice try but the title of this thread is Religion, ergo it's about your belief. You are the one who brought up the Big Bang and that's a red herring. So answer the question.
But the context of the immediate discussion is not religion. So, the ball is in your court. You have to prove to us how much smarter you are than the NASA scientist, since your theory is at odds with theirs.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #8025
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
But the context of the immediate discussion is not religion.
You are the one who changed the subject by bringing up the Big Bang.

Quote:
You have to prove to us how much smarter you are than the NASA scientist, since your theory is at odds with theirs.
There are plenty of reputable scientists out there with theories "at odds with" NASA. It would not surprise me to find that the "NASA scientist" is a grad student who was given the assignment on Friday, due on Monday. I suggest you read the scientific literature. Annals of Physics might be a good start. The Argumentum ad populum fallacy does not make something true.

So answer the question. Was the universe poofed into existence 6,000 years ago, in 6 days, by an omnipotent being.

Last edited by Actor; 12-02-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply