Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist
 
JustRalph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 40,963
Rep Power: 63 JustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to behold
Would somebody who knows, explain to me just how much weight loss is enough to make you worry? Or weight gain for that matter?
__________________
SHUT UP AND BET!
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
chadk66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,107
Rep Power: 13 chadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Would somebody who knows, explain to me just how much weight loss is enough to make you worry? Or weight gain for that matter?
90% of the trainers wouldn't even know what the actual weight fluctuations are in their horses. Very few have scales. It's simply a guess. And to be honest, while using a scale, appearances are quite deceiving most times.
chadk66 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #18
jay68802
Registered User
 
jay68802's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,849
Rep Power: 21 jay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of light
Gulfstream is putting up weights also.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #19
Ruffian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 787
Rep Power: 6 Ruffian1 has a spectacular aura aboutRuffian1 has a spectacular aura aboutRuffian1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
90% of the trainers wouldn't even know what the actual weight fluctuations are in their horses. Very few have scales. It's simply a guess. And to be honest, while using a scale, appearances are quite deceiving most times.
Spot on Chad.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #20
chadk66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,107
Rep Power: 13 chadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the rough
true weights would be a neat wrinkle. But I'm really not sure it would be of any actual benefit. Probably just one more thing to beat yourself up about. As horses mature they gain weight due to muscle mass. Muscle weighs far more than fat. So if trying to find a horse that's racing lighter than he did previously, it may not be in your best interest. On an older horse that is fully matured it could possibly benefit a handicapper. Just the weight number may be a trivial thing unless you can put an image of the horses condition along with it from various times. An example would be a horse that may have been fighting an illness or become dehydrated and dropped a significant amount of weight. If you saw that horse with your eye you may be able to pick up on the fact the horse may not look very good. Then two months later these issues may have been resolved and the horse is 100lbs heavier then you can say yep, he's much healthier and will run far better. That's a time when weight gain is beneficial to a horse. So it may be a really tough angle to capitalize on unless you can have physical appearances to go along with it. Just my thoughts.
chadk66 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #21
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,442
Rep Power: 12 dilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the roughdilanesp is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
true weights would be a neat wrinkle. But I'm really not sure it would be of any actual benefit. Probably just one more thing to beat yourself up about. As horses mature they gain weight due to muscle mass. Muscle weighs far more than fat. So if trying to find a horse that's racing lighter than he did previously, it may not be in your best interest. On an older horse that is fully matured it could possibly benefit a handicapper. Just the weight number may be a trivial thing unless you can put an image of the horses condition along with it from various times. An example would be a horse that may have been fighting an illness or become dehydrated and dropped a significant amount of weight. If you saw that horse with your eye you may be able to pick up on the fact the horse may not look very good. Then two months later these issues may have been resolved and the horse is 100lbs heavier then you can say yep, he's much healthier and will run far better. That's a time when weight gain is beneficial to a horse. So it may be a really tough angle to capitalize on unless you can have physical appearances to go along with it. Just my thoughts.
Here's the thing. It's a piece of information. Like any other piece of information, it could be very relevant or not relevant at all. Not any different than "blinkers on".

But in general, whatever information is available should be made available to the wagering public so it can be factored in, or not factored in, by handicapppers.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
chadk66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,107
Rep Power: 13 chadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Here's the thing. It's a piece of information. Like any other piece of information, it could be very relevant or not relevant at all. Not any different than "blinkers on".

But in general, whatever information is available should be made available to the wagering public so it can be factored in, or not factored in, by handicapppers.
that's probably true. Not sure how it could be done in a reasonable manner. You'd have to weigh em all on the same scale or certified scales that get calibrated every so often. Do you weigh them the day before, morning of or four hours before post or what? The best way would be as they leave the receiving barn to go to paddock but that doesn't give you much time to use that info for handicapping. Doing it on the backside in the morning would be very hard to do.
chadk66 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #23
JustRalph
Just another Facist
 
JustRalph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 40,963
Rep Power: 63 JustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to beholdJustRalph is a splendid one to behold
Why not a trip by the scale on the way to any workout?
__________________
SHUT UP AND BET!
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #24
Tom
Registered User
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 85,600
Rep Power: 111 Tom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to behold
More rocket science for the industry!

The way the tracks time races, why would I beleive a horse's weight?
This is a technology-challenged game.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #25
luisbe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 305
Rep Power: 10 luisbe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Would somebody who knows, explain to me just how much weight loss is enough to make you worry? Or weight gain for that matter?
Imagine yourself as a 100 mts runner. Also imagine you won the last race with 160 pounds. You got injured and you didn't run for 4 months, next race you are 170 pounds, would you consider that before analyzing the race in search of probable winner? I would.
Of course we are talking about horses not being developed, since these are putting in muscle weight but the great majority of runners are 5yo or older.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #26
chadk66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,107
Rep Power: 13 chadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the roughchadk66 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Why not a trip by the scale on the way to any workout?
Logistically this would be easier than race day.
chadk66 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #27
Tom
Registered User
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 85,600
Rep Power: 111 Tom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to beholdTom is a splendid one to behold
They can't even get gelding days correct.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?

Last edited by Tom; 12-27-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #28
AstrosFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 166
Rep Power: 1 AstrosFan is on a distinguished road
Weights don't do a thing for me, never will...even when I play Hong Kong
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
elhelmete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,121
Rep Power: 11 elhelmete is on a distinguished road
Santa Anita showing weights today, on track.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Post-Race Analysis: A Good Idea?
Yes - 78.38%
29 Votes
No - 10.81%
4 Votes
Possibly - 10.81%
4 Votes
Total Votes: 37
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.