Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #16
Ruffian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 795
I realize that handicappers need all the info they can get. However, in the case of workouts, you get such a small portion of info, it is IMO, not worth the effort.

Case in point, two horses workout within minutes of each other , by themselves, and everything is equal.

Horse one works a 1/2 mile in :50.
He goes splits of 14,13,12,11.
That is a very solid workout.

Horse two works a 1/2 mile in :49.
The splits are 11,11,13,14.
That is a very disturbing workout.

They both run against each other five days later. Logic seems to say that the horse that worked 49 outworked the horse that worked in 50.
That logic would be dead wrong.

Unless you can see the circumstances of each work, like one worked at dawn before the track was chopped up or right after the break and the other worked at 9:45 and the track was cuppy , dry and all cut up. Or were they in company? Or what was the objective of the work? The list goes on and on.

Another is when you see a bunch of 1/2 mile works and the horse is off a layoff going much further than a half a mile. Is he fit? If you know the trainer, you have a better shot of figuring that out than going by times and distances of works.

Often times a trainer can work a horse a mile but wants to emphasize relaxing so the horse will go 1/8ths in 15, also called a two minute lick, for two or three 1/8ths then go 14 and THEN work a half in :50. You see the 1/2 in :50 but there is so much more to the story. (Clockers will not start timing a horse that is going at a 2 minute click. They wait until the horse picks up speed before timing it.)And if that horse was horse number one I spoke about earlier, that is a great work.

My best advice would be to understand the trainer and what they typically do. Some love bullets, some hate bullets.

Learn the trainers habits and the picture will become clearer.

Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
FakeNameChanged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
I realize that handicappers need all the info they can get. However, in the case of workouts, you get such a small portion of info, it is IMO, not worth the effort.

Case in point, two horses workout within minutes of each other , by themselves, and everything is equal.

Horse one works a 1/2 mile in :50.
He goes splits of 14,13,12,11.
That is a very solid workout.

Horse two works a 1/2 mile in :49.
The splits are 11,11,13,14.
That is a very disturbing workout.

They both run against each other five days later. Logic seems to say that the horse that worked 49 outworked the horse that worked in 50.
That logic would be dead wrong.

Unless you can see the circumstances of each work, like one worked at dawn before the track was chopped up or right after the break and the other worked at 9:45 and the track was cuppy , dry and all cut up. Or were they in company? Or what was the objective of the work? The list goes on and on.

Another is when you see a bunch of 1/2 mile works and the horse is off a layoff going much further than a half a mile. Is he fit? If you know the trainer, you have a better shot of figuring that out than going by times and distances of works.

Often times a trainer can work a horse a mile but wants to emphasize relaxing so the horse will go 1/8ths in 15, also called a two minute lick, for two or three 1/8ths then go 14 and THEN work a half in :50. You see the 1/2 in :50 but there is so much more to the story. (Clockers will not start timing a horse that is going at a 2 minute click. They wait until the horse picks up speed before timing it.)And if that horse was horse number one I spoke about earlier, that is a great work.

My best advice would be to understand the trainer and what they typically do. Some love bullets, some hate bullets.

Learn the trainers habits and the picture will become clearer.

Hope that helps.
As usual Ruffian, great insight. I had an old track acquaintance who spent a lot of time at CT getting to know trainers' habits about workouts. There was one well known trainer there, who seldom showed normal workouts but chose to gallop his horses for rather long distances to prepare for routes. When he showed a 4f workout it was usually very slow. My friend taught me to ignore some of these slow workouts.
__________________
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
JohnGalt1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
I realize that handicappers need all the info they can get. However, in the case of workouts, you get such a small portion of info, it is IMO, not worth the effort.

Case in point, two horses workout within minutes of each other , by themselves, and everything is equal.

Horse one works a 1/2 mile in :50.
He goes splits of 14,13,12,11.
That is a very solid workout.

Horse two works a 1/2 mile in :49.
The splits are 11,11,13,14.
That is a very disturbing workout.

They both run against each other five days later. Logic seems to say that the horse that worked 49 outworked the horse that worked in 50.
That logic would be dead wrong.

Unless you can see the circumstances of each work, like one worked at dawn before the track was chopped up or right after the break and the other worked at 9:45 and the track was cuppy , dry and all cut up. Or were they in company? Or what was the objective of the work? The list goes on and on.

Another is when you see a bunch of 1/2 mile works and the horse is off a layoff going much further than a half a mile. Is he fit? If you know the trainer, you have a better shot of figuring that out than going by times and distances of works.

Often times a trainer can work a horse a mile but wants to emphasize relaxing so the horse will go 1/8ths in 15, also called a two minute lick, for two or three 1/8ths then go 14 and THEN work a half in :50. You see the 1/2 in :50 but there is so much more to the story. (Clockers will not start timing a horse that is going at a 2 minute click. They wait until the horse picks up speed before timing it.)And if that horse was horse number one I spoke about earlier, that is a great work.

My best advice would be to understand the trainer and what they typically do. Some love bullets, some hate bullets.

Learn the trainers habits and the picture will become clearer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

And isn't it true that a horse may work a timed 4f, but the trainer runs the horse an additional 2-4 furlongs, not timed, but in fact the horse ran 6-7 furlongs not fast enough for a timed workout, but faster than a gallop?
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
biggestal99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
I'm handicapping FG Thursday 9/14 and found a perfect example of why I started this thread.

Race one--#8 Diva's Ransom 7-2 ML

Last raced Oct 21

Last workout Feb 12

Trainer is 4 for 38 this year.

3 for 11 27% 46-90 day layoff

When I handicap a layoff horse I use the best/fastest/most representative race for a pace line.

July 5, off since may 19, she won 5f at Evd in 58.3.

That race she also won off a lay off since he last race was Feb 12 for that race.

I believe fillies and mares usually cab race well with fewer and or shorter works, but id do not trust it.

I am passing the race.
The 8 is actually the type of horse I am looking for. Won off the layoff at 11-1.
Has low percentage connections that will increase the price. And this is basically a statebred race.

The race isnít on the exchange so I will not be playing it but at 4-1 or so itís a good bet parimutually speaking.

Stalk and pounce.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
Ruffian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
As usual Ruffian, great insight. I had an old track acquaintance who spent a lot of time at CT getting to know trainers' habits about workouts. There was one well known trainer there, who seldom showed normal workouts but chose to gallop his horses for rather long distances to prepare for routes. When he showed a 4f workout it was usually very slow. My friend taught me to ignore some of these slow workouts.

Thank you Whosonfirst.

I cut my teeth during high school at CT. and Shenandoah Downs next door. It is where I first learned about distance differences as each ran races, especially short sprints, about a furlong longer. Man, those were the days.

Thanks again for the compliment.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Ruffian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
Thanks,

And isn't it true that a horse may work a timed 4f, but the trainer runs the horse an additional 2-4 furlongs, not timed, but in fact the horse ran 6-7 furlongs not fast enough for a timed workout, but faster than a gallop?

Sure. They do that as well but I always did everything before the wire and leading up to the wire. Never quite understood teaching horses after the wire and around a turn they, for the most part, don't compete in. But plenty do it so I guess it's ok. Just not my thing.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #22
jay68802
Registered User
 
jay68802's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 14,379
Know the trainer first, some show 12 sec clicks (Baffert), some are at 13 sec(Broberg). Earlier this year Jason Servis had a horse coming off a 9 month break and showed 1 3f workout. He won the race at 5-2, If you knew that he does not like to show his horses works you were not concerned. If I don't know a trainer that well, I look at works like they are the bag of peanut butter cups in my kitchen. It's nice to know that they are there.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #23
biggestal99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
The 8 is actually the type of horse I am looking for. Won off the layoff at 11-1.
Has low percentage connections that will increase the price. And this is basically a statebred race.

The race isnít on the exchange so I will not be playing it but at 4-1 or so itís a good bet parimutually speaking.

Stalk and pounce.

Allan
9-2 not a bad price. Would have been fives on the x.

Oh well one day all tracks will be on the x.

Keep those layoff horses coming John.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #24
Equifan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Little Rock AR
Posts: 51
I approach works a little differently. Instead of handicapping a race (or races) trying to decipher intent I check the daily work tabs at various tracks -- using certain time standards -- and store qualifiers in my virtual stable. I'm now looking for a race for my work-horse(s).

Because of the criteria a work must meet to be eligible I can be reasonably sure that a horse is fit and the trainer ain't gonna wait very long to strike.

When I get a notice that they are entered I handicap that race, decide what kind of odds are acceptable for conditions, and either bet or pass.
Equifan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18,614
I think Ruffian1 is spot on.

Not that have an especially good eye for workouts (I don't), but you gain extra information when you are at the track and can see the horses working. I go to the Belmont backstretch every once in awhile in the summer to watch works. Even though I'm typically focused on only 2-3 horses, I have a better idea of how they are doing because I'm seeing the same 2-3 all the time, I know the conditions, and know what they were asked for.
__________________
"Unlearning is the highest form of learning"
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #26
PressThePace
Registered User
 
PressThePace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 525
It goes back to what Ruffian and Thaskalos mentioned earlier...almost entirely trainer dependent. I think there are real nuggets to be found if one is willing to uncover them. From a general perspective, I love to bet horses second out if the circumstances (drills) lead to some enlightenment.

Last edited by PressThePace; 12-21-2017 at 05:40 PM.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
JohnGalt1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,174
I want to add this from an old handicapping book.

The author advised us to assume a horse in a stakes race is racing fit regardless of the amount of work outs posted.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #28
jay68802
Registered User
 
jay68802's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 14,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Know the trainer first, some show 12 sec clicks (Baffert), some are at 13 sec(Broberg). Earlier this year Jason Servis had a horse coming off a 9 month break and showed 1 3f workout. He won the race at 5-2, If you knew that he does not like to show his horses works you were not concerned. If I don't know a trainer that well, I look at works like they are the bag of peanut butter cups in my kitchen. It's nice to know that they are there.
If you want to see a classic Baffert work out pattern, look at Race #6 at Santa Anita today. Note the slow 6f work, followed by the 5 in 59 last work. I know this is a Maiden race but the work pattern is used for layoff horses as well.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #29
JohnGalt1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,174
There's an interview with the late Jack Van Berg about his and other trainers' methods for training horses at www.mnpaddockreport.com.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #30
Franco Santiago
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
One thing I hate is having a horse with no or short 3f workouts beat me.

I want a horse off a month or longer to show some workouts to let me know it is fit.

A bad/slow horse that I would not play, with no workouts I can take since even with workouts I would not play it.

I know many workouts are not listed, some work on a farm.

My question3--

If you like a horse off a layoff with no workouts, do you play him?

Do you play it with your second and/or third choice.

Ignore it, And play it as a prime bet?

Put in a double or pick 3, just in case it runs to it's pps?

Thanks.
Past 30 days with no workouts showing, just draw an X through the horse. Oh, you might find some value once in a while, but you will be better expending your effort elsewhere. When they beat you, rest easy, knowing that it's a bad proposition in the long run.
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.