Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #15616
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
What we've never gotten a straight answer from you is this: How do you know that this so-called revelation of God through the Bible is real? How do you know it's not all made up? Or at least partially made up?

You have given your opinion that the whole thing is consistent, without internal contradiction. Is that it? Is that your whole argument? Your only argument?

Just asking.
Because no one could make up hundreds of stories over many centuries written by numerous writers and intertwine those stories in such a way as to bring one, unified, consistent message to mankind.

As stated many times in this thread: There is no book in the whole world like the bible.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #15617
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar

As stated many times in this thread: There is no book in the whole world like the bible.
You make it sound as if everyone here echoes this opinion of yours....when the reality is that you alone are the one who keeps saying this about the bible.

Every religion has its "holy book"...and all of them are "unique", in their own way. Of course...you also keep on saying that no other holy book claims to contain the "Word of God"...which is a mistake on your part. But I forgive you...because I know that you are not well versed in the "heretical" religions.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #15618
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Because no one could make up hundreds of stories over many centuries written by numerous writers and intertwine those stories in such a way as to bring one, unified, consistent message to mankind.

I get that that. But the question is "is that your only argument?"
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #15619
boxcar

Quote:
I get that that. But the question is "is that your only argument?"
You asked me about the BOOK! The Book is unique. One of a kind. Incomparable. No Book like it on the planet.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #15620
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You asked me about the BOOK! The Book is unique. One of a kind. Incomparable. No Book like it on the planet.
I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.
  • Your beliefs come from the Bible.
  • You believe the Bible is true because you see it as internally consistent.
  • You believe this consistency could only come about "Because no one could make up hundreds of stories over many centuries written by numerous writers and intertwine those stories in such a way as to bring one, unified, consistent message to mankind."
  • Ergo, God.
And that is your entire argument for your religion, or am I missing something?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #15621
boxcar

Quote:
I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.
  • Your beliefs come from the Bible.
  • You believe the Bible is true because you see it as internally consistent.
  • You believe this consistency could only come about "Because no one could make up hundreds of stories over many centuries written by numerous writers and intertwine those stories in such a way as to bring one, unified, consistent message to mankind."
  • Ergo, God.
And that is your entire argument for your religion, or am I missing something?
No, that is not my entire argument. But, again, you did ask specifically about The Book!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #15622
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
No, that is not my entire argument. But, again, you did ask specifically about The Book!
Right. But is "The Book" the sole source of your religion? And by "The Book" we do mean "The Bible"?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #15623
boxcar

Quote:
Right. But is "The Book" the sole source of your religion? And by "The Book" we do mean "The Bible"?
Do you need to ask what I meant by "The Book"? (You must have overstuffed yourself at Thanksgiving, which would explain how your brain could even concoct such a question, within the immediate context of our last several posts.)

Anyhoo...be that as it may, the bible is not the sole source, but it is the primary source.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #15624
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Do you need to ask what I meant by "The Book"?
I think I do. You seem to be using "The Book" and "The Bible" interchangeably, but not necessarily. I detect a possibility, perhaps improbable, that you may be setting up a future equivocation (which you would deny and/or blame on me). You have a history of this sort of thing. Best to clarify it in the bud.

Quote:
(You must have overstuffed yourself at Thanksgiving.)
I never stuff myself at Thanksgiving. I hate poultry and they always serve bird. Then there's the leftovers. Ugh. As I type my wife is boiling the remains of the bird and it stinks to high heaven. In the coming days I will be expected to consume these remains and pretend to like it.

Quote:
Anyhoo...be that as it may, the bible is not the sole source, but it is the primary source.
What about Sola Scriptura?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #15625
boxcar

Quote:
I think I do. You seem to be using "The Book" and "The Bible" interchangeably, but not necessarily. I detect a possibility, perhaps improbable, that you may be setting up a future equivocation (which you would deny and/or blame on me). You have a history of this sort of thing. Best to clarify it in the bud.

I never stuff myself at Thanksgiving. I hate poultry and they always serve bird. Then there's the leftovers. Ugh. As I type my wife is boiling the remains of the bird and it stinks to high heaven. In the coming days I will be expected to consume these remains and pretend to like it.

What about Sola Scriptura?
What about it? Your question assumes that the other sources are books but they are not. There are two other kinds of revelation: Natural (which some theologians call General) and then there is Intuitive revelation.

Having said this doesn't mean that I don't have my own mini version of a theological library. I do. But those books don't form my theology.

Have you considered putting other things on the holiday menu other than poultry? Ham? Roast Port? Steak? Lobster? Break tradition. Think outside the typical holiday menu box.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #15626
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Have you considered putting other things on the holiday menu other than poultry? Ham? Roast Port?
Roast Port? You can roast wine?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #15627
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
How do you know no one could do it? We're talking about a species that sent twelve of their members to the moon. Getting a bunch of fictional stories to agree with one another really doesn't seem that much of a challenge, particularly if each writer had access to the writings of his predecessors and took care that his own writings did not upset the apple cart. He would want to do that least he be charged with heresy and killed. Of course if he were charged with heresy he could always claim "scribal error" or "context".

Most of the "stories" don't have to agree with each other. They're mostly stand alone stories with little opportunity to conflict with any of the others. The exceptions would be the books of Samuel, Chronicles and Kings, and the Gospels of course.

Are you certain that there are "hundreds of stories"? Without actually listing them (a project I don't have time for) my estimate would be that there are less than one hundred.

Most of the Bible is not stories. It's theology, philosophy and poetry.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #15628
Actor
Librocubicularist

Daily Contradiction - 1 Dec 2014

Revelation 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, ...

Science Obviously the writer of Revelation did not know that the stars are suns and could not possibly "fall unto the earth".
Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #15629
boxcar

Quote:
How do you know no one could do it? We're talking about a species that sent twelve of their members to the moon. Getting a bunch of fictional stories to agree with one another really doesn't seem that much of a challenge, particularly if each writer had access to the writings of his predecessors and took care that his own writings did not upset the apple cart. He would want to do that least he be charged with heresy and killed. Of course if he were charged with heresy he could always claim "scribal error" or "context".

Most of the "stories" don't have to agree with each other. They're mostly stand alone stories with little opportunity to conflict with any of the others. The exceptions would be the books of Samuel, Chronicles and Kings, and the Gospels of course.

Are you certain that there are "hundreds of stories"? Without actually listing them (a project I don't have time for) my estimate would be that there are less than one hundred.

Most of the Bible is not stories. It's theology, philosophy and poetry.
Shirley U. Jest. The bible is mostly narrative. And that would have to be some humongous editing job. Did the writers of subsequent generations hold seances with their predecessors to conspire with them? How would all of the subsequent generations have known they were supposed make their writings gel with all the others? Not much of a job, indeed.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #15630
boxcar

Quote:
Revelation 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, ...

Science Obviously the writer of Revelation did not know that the stars are suns and could not possibly "fall unto the earth".
Only if "stars" are taken literally. For your info, Revelations is prophetic-apocalyptic literature that is filled with figurative language. Do a word study on "stars" in other prophetic books to see how scripture uses the term.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: