Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #173
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
You'll have to give us the details on how that would work. Somebody still has to own the horses, and the breeding operations make a lot of money selling yearlings. And it's not like there is no cost to producing a foal.
My dad, a small-ish owner (about 8-10 claimers) and devoted horseplayer tells me the Adena/Stronach does just this in Florida. He puts horses in the hands of low % trainers to keep the stalls full.

As is often the case with dad, he's infuriatingly short on details. But in my experience eventually he's proven correct on these sorts of crazy assertions.

Certainly there ARE significant costs and uncertainty along the path of bringing a foal to a racing ready 2yo.

And given what we know about the % of foals that actually make it to their 1st race, never mind their first win, it would take a large overall boost to the foal crop to make a difference down the line in the race-ready population.

And we're seeing strength in the upper ends of the sales but softness in the middle and lower-middle (from what I read), so somehow there's money there.

Something tells me a clever person could figure this out...work on the supply side of bringing more foals into the mix.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)