Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #133
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
This is correct, but it's still missing the point I have been making throughout the thread.

The w2w data on turf would be worse except for the fact that the riders are slowing the paces down to a crawl to compensate for their perception that that's the best way to run turf races and give all the horses a decent shot (and trainers are training that way).

In the beginning, polytrack at KEE was a disaster in terms of w2w winners. Everyone was complaining. Then the jockey's adjusted the paces to a crawl. So the w2w% went up a bit. Looking at the new w2w% was not telling you that poly was now OK for speed. It was telling you that the jockeys compensated. (eventually they also tweaked the surface)

If people started complaining about some slug that went w2w off 6f in 117, they would be correct that he was a slug and got lucky because of the lack of aggressiveness. But asking the riders to get more aggressive again would just send us back to the opening days of the meet when everyone was whining that speed couldn't win.

The surface is the surface. The best trainers and riders try to adjust to it to give their horses a reasonable chance of winning. But within it, they make mistakes in some races. When everyone knows it's a very speed favoring surface, the mistakes tend to result from being too aggressive. In turf routes in NY, the mistakes are clustered towards not being aggressive enough.
All this says to me is that dirt is different. Well, no kidding. We all know that. Speed certainly isn't as big a factor. But there were comments in this thread saying how bad speed was and that is a terrible place to be on turf. That simply isn't true as I'm sure you know.

My experience has been that speed horses are underbet on turf and I take advantage of it. It is probably due to a lot of the stuff I've seen written here and elsewhere. Yes, the races are different, but they aren't different to the level some think.

Last edited by cj; 07-13-2016 at 12:47 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement