Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #65
falconridge
Deceased (1954-2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenang
I think for beauty it would be Delmar. But if you want to see some beautiful young women nothing compares to Oaklawn on the weekends.

Geno
Still don't get the "beauty" bit about Del Mar. Garish, ticky-tick condos to the left, an unremarkable--and rather arid--typical SoCal desertscape to the right and beyond the backstretch. Granted, pleasant weather, and a nice beach to the rear, though of course you can't see the Pacific from anywhere on the track grounds (and even if you could ... cf. Robert Frost's poem, "Neither Out Far Nor In Deep").

Oaklawn, on the other hand, looks gorgeous--or at least it does from all the footage and photos I've seen of it. Likewise Woodbine, the favorite track of "Colonel Martingale" (aka "Audax Minor," nee George Ryall), who wrote "The Race Track" column for The New Yorker for more than fifty years. Finger Lakes also looks lovely.

My favorite place to spend an afternoon, however, is--don't laugh, now!--Bay Meadows. Not scenic, not especially well-appointed; but not a bad seat in the house, easy to get around in--and into and out of--and, unlike Del Mar or Santa Anita (IMO, a much prettier track than the one at which "the turf meets the surf"), never a problem getting a bet down.

Like just about everything Der Bingle ever had a hand in (Jack Cooper, former president of the Screen Actors Guild, said Crosby was "the coldest man I ever knew. Cold, cold man. I can still smell the whiskey on his breath"), Del Mar is hugely overrated.

Your old Binglebasher,

falconridge
falconridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)