Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 04:27 PM   #15
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
If the old 6-furlong turf course allowed for 1 3/16 mile races, then how could that configuration have possibly not have allowed for 1 1/4 mile races?

I did, however, make one mistake: The 1 3/16 mile start on the 6 furlong turf course had a 514-foot run into the first turn, while the 1 1/4 mile start on the 6 furlong turf course - from which the Secretariat Stakes was actually run in 1985

1985 was the year Hawthorne unveiled the new 7 furlong turf course. The new design also included a tunnel to the infield and an infield paddock (both no longer in use)

The old 6 furlong course had races carded at 7f, 1 mile (stand side chute) 1 3/16 and 1 1/2 mile races, and way back in the 70's a 1 mile and 3/4 distance in a starter handicap series. No sprints. Again, a race at 1 1/4 would have started in the middle of the clubhouse turn.

For the record, the turning radius of Hawthorne turf is the tighest anywhere in North America.

Last edited by wisconsin; 03-31-2022 at 04:36 PM.
wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)