Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #37
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
It’s just the same old crap in every one of these complaint threads. When the guy says it’s post time. The tote should be locked. Before the first horse is even walked into position. If you get shut out, it’s your own fault.
I believe this is the correct answer. The reason that closing the pools currently requires manual intervention right now is because we're trying to sync it up with the gate opening. Moving it to when the first horse enters would be the same issue. Both of those are arbitrary conditions which are impossible to automate within the current systems. So we need someone watching with their hand hovering over a button, and slapping it when that arbitrary condition is met.

However, all of the totes can automatically lock at 0 MTP with no upgrades or new development needed. This is already implemented in every system as an emergency fail-safe...if the system detects that the stewards button is not connected to the system and the race is at 0 MTP, the pools automatically lock.

So just make that the standard. Countdown hits 0, pools close, totally automated. Tracks don't want to do it because they're afraid it'll hurt handle. I guess they think bettors are truly so stupid that they won't adjust...but I'm pretty sure they would.

It also has the added benefit of eliminating odds changing during the race. Between the timer hitting 0 and the race actually starting, the system will have ample time to calculate all of the last-second money and display final odds before the gate opens.

Locking at 0 makes all the sense in the world, and kills multiple birds with the same stone. So it's unlikely to ever happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrex
Tracks cannot see the actual wagers being made into their pools unless they request that information and most times its not searchable (lucky if its not just a printed PDF file).

There WAS a system being designed to do that, but it was expensive and relied on parties with no benefit from it to pay for it.
I'm not sure if you're referring to the TRPB's transaction audit files, but if so that system was completed. All totes are sending a file to the TRPB at the close of every race, and those files contain the individual wagers from every source.

I don't know if the individual tracks have access to that system to query information. But the data is definitely available in a centralized database....it just needs to be properly utilized.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most