Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #95
highrider

Ted
Your friends Doc and Jimmy sound like they left a wealth of knowledge.
I learned the sport back in the 60's from my then paper route.
One of my daily stops was to a bookie joint called the Stag Cigar (Should have been the stale cigar). This was a place where race forms were free and must reading. From the age of 12-15 I was asked often what I liked today and was expected to have a well read answer. After a while sometimes I could come up with my own picks. I became the yougest player around but the house refused any bets over $10.
The old guys at the gambling tables really remind me of the pictures of your late friends. Times were sure different in so many ways. Not that everything was better or all Rosie back then.
They learned by a trial of fire and as hard as the game is were willing to help a flowndering amature.
Thanks for your interesting post and of course The Contest Support.

The same Big Thank You to.. PA,Jay, and the near impossible job of scoring by Cris. And to all who sponcer this fine event

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)