Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser57 View Post
I was live-streaming today’s first race at Parx, and the caller mentioned a horse (Lust for Money) and jockey went down. It happened off camera, and about 10 minutes later Parx suspended racing for the day because of the cold. I the saw tweets indicating Lust for Money died (presumably euthanized), but there were no details. Some tweets expressed anger that a horse had to die before racing was cancelled.

As someone who’s fairly new to the sport, it angers me if the horses’ safety takes a backseat to business interests. Not saying this was the case here since I don’t know the particulars about what happened today, but it did make me wonder if there’s an advocacy group of fans that works to help ensure the safety of the horses comes first? I’ve read a little about the NTRA, but it looks like it’s more of a trade group and this is just one of many things it promotes.

Is there a fan-centered group that advocates solely for safer racing?

If this is true...then you will have a difficult time adjusting to this game. Here...powerful painkillers are administered to these horses in order "keep them racing", when they should really be resting while mending their various injuries. And this happens throughout the year. Consequently...not only are the sport's "business interests" held in higher regard than the "safety of the horses"...they are considered more important than the safety of their riders, as well.

And we horseplayers are most interested in our "business interests" too...while we try to keep these "ugly details" out of our minds as we try to "pick winners". Sadly...you can't be "sensitive" in this business. You either get "disensitized"...or you get OUT.

» Advertisement