Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Immortal6

I agree somewhat with your assessment. Handicapping contests with no limits on wager type/amount are as much about bankroll management and throwing a lot of money at the final race, as they are about actually handicapping and finding winners.

3 types of tournaments I've participated in include 1) the above tournament format, 2) a win wager only tournament with no restriction on amount of wager or number of races, and 3) a tournament with a dozen or so selected races from various tracks where you are required to place a mythical W/P wager on a single horse in each race.

From a pure handicapping standpoint option 3 finds the best pure capper imo but doesn't reward those adept at exotics and those who understand bankroll management.

The second option is a good balance of both.

Your idea of paying out a percentage of the pot to the leader after "X" race(s) is a good idea, but I'm not sure it will prevent a lot of players from waiting for that final race to blow the remainder on their bankroll. I think it's human nature "FOMO" to not want to throw a lot of money on a race that isn't the final race for fear of not lasting until the last race of the day.

In the end, everyone has their personal preferences. If I had it my way tournaments would be limited to WPS, ex/tri/sup. with a wager limit of $20 in any one race.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)