Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Ernie Dahlman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I used to check for mud caulks in NY on rainy days and I did feel much more confident if the horse I was betting had them on. But NYRA changed the rules to stop the use of caulks, I believe in October of 2008. I think the reason they gave was to avoid breakdowns but many top trainers said that the caulks were not bad for horses. Personally I always felt that NYRA banned caulks because they felt that horses using caulks had an unfair advantage and wanted to protect bettors.

Allen Jerkens was one of the trainers who used mud caulks and if The Chief used them you can be sure that they were not bad for horses.

Does anyone know, are these bends 1/4 inch bends? Are all bends being used at Aqueduct the same?
They are at most 1/4 inch, sometimes less. More will get your horse scratched unless his name is Cigar.
I don't believe protecting bettors is high on the Jockey Club's agenda.
Ernie Dahlman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement