Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #12
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly View Post
$100 on a weekend seems really low-key to me. $5,200 a year for something you love is hobby money to many.

I don't have any degenerate stories to share. I do recall walking into my first OTB when I lived in NY as a young adult. The guys in there, sitting on the floor, looking like they had not had a decent grooming nor a change of clothes in a month, were not exactly inspiring to a young budding horseplayer.
To a non-gambler $100 is a lot to lose in one week. That’s like a monthly car payment. If your a non-gambler married to one that is not you will never convince them with the “hobby“ angle. For someone who doesn’t gamble they will never agree that betting horses is a hobby. We are automatically labeled degenerates and looked at different. An old guy gave me great advice years ago. He said if you have a passion for betting the horses make sure whomever you date/ marry knows this going in. Don’t try to hide it make it clear from the beginning. Even with that advice most of my relationships over the years accepted the passion but would never agree to call it a hobby.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement