Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I know what you are saying. It's clearly not a growth industry.

I spent a lot of time in every branch in Queens and some time in Brooklyn and Manhattan before NYC OTB was closed. Many were an obvious drain. Others were packed every day and handled a lot of money. You surely don't need the kind of branch system that existed before the internet and phone betting. But I think a few restaurant/bar OTBs in the right locations would still handle good money.

The Belmont Cafe picked up some of the OTB money from eastern Queens and took some business from Nassau County OTB. AQU picked up some of the OTB players in the Crossbay Queens area, but a lot of people dropped out because they had nowhere to go. The demographics are still such that some people don't bet by phone or computer.

Yea, it's not a 'McDonald's' that you can slap on every corner, but there is a market for it.

Of course, these type of businesses (or any type), has to actually have a goal of profitability and legitimacy.

(and w/ Covid-19, - any still-existing? or planned locations are going to have a tougher time. More power to them, if they get approved for a $).

Like everyone else on PA, I've been to some nice OTB's and some dumps. Location and management unsurprisingly play a big role in the quality and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Whoever says that the OTBs should remain open obviously hasn't visited one in the last couple years or so. The gathered groups there are smaller than anyone could imagine...and about 75% of the patrons don't even bet. They are just hiding from their wives. Keeping those places open wouldn't make economic sense even if all the employees there were paid below minimum wage.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 08-07-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)