Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Ax Man
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #30
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Spaulding, I understand what you say about avoiding the high two-figure or three figure stud fee, but that's still a bad plan (provided you can afford the high stud fee of course).

Let's say this horse wins another and is a hot Derby prospect. Or wins a G1 or the Derby and becomes a stallion prospect. That male side of the pedigree will value him at half what they'd get if he was by a top sire, and now we're talking millions of difference in value. Even if you breed to race, you've got to (to the best of your financial situation) set your horse up to be as commercially viable as possible as a breeding prospect.
Sure, but my guess is that the Earnhardts are not interested in a lot of upfront investment especially given their success has essentially been achieved with modestly-bred horses from the getgo.

As far as stallion prospects, they must have made out pretty well on Indian Charlie, with whom I believe they were able to secure a stud deal prior to his Kentucky Derby race (which proved to be his last start). That horse had the pedigree of a Cal-bred. So it's believable from their perspective that if a horse shows enough talent, the stud deal will materialize regardless of bloodlines.

The Earnhardts actually bred Indian Blessing to a top stallion in Tapit and got a colt, Ten Blessings, that displayed Grade 1 ability (placed in the Malibu), but has been too injury plagued to be a certifiable stallion prospect in KY--at least for now as he is still in training. They also bred Shameful to Empire Maker and got Maker Or Breaker, who had to go to AZ to get black type, then died before she could produce a foal. So up to this point, their experience has not been great when ponying up for the higher stud fees.

Nevertheless, if they wanted a quick return on investment, the easiest thing to do would to breed Shameful (an aging mare) to Tapit or whoever and sell the foal. That's why I presume they are more interested in racing and hoping lightning strikes twice (or 3 times if you count the filly).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement