Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 04:51 PM   #24
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
...One last thing, I recall 30 years ago I tossed any horse that didn't run in three preps in the new year. It was just so difficult to get a horse ready off of two races. Now only Lucas does it and it works for him. Racing sure isn't changing for the better.
The Derby preps are certainly different than 30 or 40 years ago. Some would say it's changes in training methods or breeding, but it's my opinion that it has a lot to do with drugs and supplements. That includes steroids, treatments for injuries, and race day drugs - both allowed and illegal.

If horses were running on just hay, oats and water, I'd be more inclined to wager on horses with more starts and appearing to round into form. Now I have to guess whether the horse and connections have timed the Derby for a prime effort based on a couple of starts and a point system that has pretty much eliminated cheap early speed. I also believe without drugs and supplements horses that run up the track in the Derby could come back and have some decent efforts in a post-Derby career. Instead we get *many* horses who make their last career start in the Derby.

No system is perfect, and this year it appears we may have a decent crop of 3YOs versus the run-of-the-mill runners so common the last couple of decades. Time will tell. The two chalks look good on paper, but you can't bet the farm when a good trip and better living through chemistry may determine the winner.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Tuscan Gold VS Catching Freedom