Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Remember When
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 08:57 AM   #46
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Our local city h.s. basketball team actually scheduled two(?) games vs. Dematha many years ago. Some locals actually thought they had a shot against them. I've often thought that Adrian Dantley was the best h.s. player I've seen, but so many future pro's looked like that when still in high school.

my senior year in h.s. a huge game was tenatively scheduled between Dematha and St. Anthonys who was coached by John Thompson - and he had attracted several of the best players in the city - Adrian Dantley was a junior at that time

we - a suburban team - played them and they crushed us

Morgan Wooten demanded certain things about the venue - Dematha had a terrible gym with very little seating and he and Thompson could not agree so the game never took place

3 of the players on Thompson's team excelled in major college basketball after they graduated - and one played in the ABA

it was an awesome h.s. team

after the season Sport Magazine named St. Anthonys as the #1 h.s. team in the country

the only other squad that could handle Dematha back in the day was Mackin High with Austin Carr. Austin destroyed them as he did anybody who faced him in h.s. or college

I'll never forget when we played them Jonathan Smith who later excelled at Georgetown took a jumper over me - I was crouched down a little - I'm only 5'9" - and his feet were in my face - I was like wtf is this

I had a layup and Donald Washington - who excelled at UNC for one year before getting injured and who also played in the ABA got called for goaltending. he pinned my layup to the board about 12.5 feet up there - it was insane back then for a h.s. player to go up that high

Last edited by Half Smoke; 11-11-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)