Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Question Why is it harder to win gate-to-wire on turf?

One of the characters ask this question to Johnny V on the last show of Horseplayers, I believe. His answer didn’t make sense to me, I don’t remember exactly what he said (maybe someone here does) , but I remember his answer didn’t satisfy me.

So why do you think that it’s harder to wire the field on turf? I had always thought that you had to be more careful when running on grass. An analogy I can think of is that suppose one is running on a sandy beach. If you try as hard as you can right off the bat, you will dig up sand , it will be more tiring, and you will waste energy(i.e., “spinning your wheels”) , and therefore be more tired at the end. So you have to more careful when running your horse on grass, for the same reason – don’t burn him out trying get to the lead. No? Ok, so what is it? Or is this just an old wives tale(and maybe it's not harder).
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)