Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-21-2022, 11:38 PM   #50
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Shouldn't the idea be to pick the one you hope has the best value? It's impossible to know what odds any horse will be, as well as what it's actual chances are of winning, but you make your best guess. I don't feel a need to put the most likely winner on top, but more the horse that is my best guess will pay off the most in the long run. Sometimes this is a short priced horse but sometimes bigger priced horses.

There are a lot of things I think about when making my picks but one is not to focus on necessarily absolutely having to have the likeliest winner on top. We all bet horses that we know are far from the likeliest winner but the odds, at least hopefully, will compensate for that. Since I approach my job as a bettor, this is the way that makes me the most comfortable.

Having said that, I try to be careful not to haphazardly put excessively long priced horses on top, not that I won't bet horses like that, and will say so on air, but sometimes those horses are better second or third choices. That way, when I do, hopefully people will realize I actually do like that horse more than just taking a bit of a shot.

It's far from an exact science, and I don't want to tell others how to do their jobs, other than to say make sure you have the integrity to bet at least something on any horse you pick that is over say 4:1. Don't take shots with other people's money just to feed your own ego. That's inherently dishonest.
Thank you for the response. That's a solid approach.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)