Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: The Cat Problem
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
jay68802

The Cat Problem

I moved to a small town in rural Nebraska about 6 years ago. The move was for many reasons, but the main reason was I like the small town living. When I first moved into my small house, I noticed that the gentleman that lived behind me had two feral cats living in his garage. At first this was not a problem, it was probably a good thing. The cats served a purpose, they kept the local mouse and snake population in check.

This started to become a problem about 2 years ago, when one of my other neighbors started leaving cat food outside his garage to feed them. The population of feral cats started to increase. 6 months ago I counted 13 different cats now living in the garage. I spoke with both neighbors about this, and came out of those conversations with out solving the problem. I then spoke to a local law officer and found out that my options were rather limited. You are not allowed to "control" the cats yourself. My option was to contact the Humane Society and contract with them to remove the cats. The reason behind this was that if someones pet cat was trapped and removed, I would be liable for any damages. I contacted the nearest Humane Society and found out that they would help, but at $25.00 a day, and no set time line, the cost of doing this was prohibitive to say the least.

So I purchased a dog, with the idea of training this dog to keep the cats away. This was a great idea, or so I thought. I tried to train the dog to chase the cats away, but the dog thought that the cats were playmates, and soon was friends with the cats. As a matter of fact, the only thing that my dog thinks that should be removed from my house is bacon. Time for plan B.

I spoke with my father on this subject and after a couple of conversations, came up with a plan. I made two L shaped bars, and mounted one end to the chimney, and the other end to my roof. Then walked around the neighborhood until I found a dead bird. I took the wings off of the bird and hung them from the bars on the roof. What this did was attracted birds of prey to my roof. I have had two different hawks and a owl using this perch for the last 3 months. I also have a neighbor who is not that happy with me. The population of feral cats is shrinking. When i arrived home two days ago he had called the local police department and filed a complaint. I spoke with the officer and he told me there was nothing he could do, but I should try to do one thing. I was told to try to remove any cat remains from my roof so my neighbor could not see them.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement