Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It should be possible to tweak the model a little to correct for that.

I'm not saying this is the solution, but if you look at all favorites and determined average finish, then any finish above that would be a positive and any finish below that would be a negative.

You could do the same for 2nd choices, 3rd choices etc..

That way, even if every horse you rode was the favorite, you wouldn't have to win to avoid a negative rating. You'd just have to do average. And you could still get a positive rating if you won more than your fair share.

It you wanted to get crazier you could make adjustments for field size and actual odds.

If you are riding a 2/5 favorite in a 4 horse field that's different from riding a 3-1 favorite in a 12 horse field.

The one things I recall about this kind of thing is that it gets a little tricky to do ranking in Access, which is where I do most of my work. I might have to export to Excel. I think it's a little easier in Excel.
Yeah, there are a lot of tweaks you can do. For simplicity, I did something like this.

=MIN(OddsRank+1,5)-MIN(FinishPosition,5)

That makes it so you get a positive for a win.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement