Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 12:44 AM   #9
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
By the way, since I know the guy takes a beating on accuracy (and I think accuracy is important!), let me say something nice about Grunder. He truly has a unique voice. It's not cookie cutter. There used to be more announcers who had really unique vocal tones and were associated with specific tracks or circuits- think Harry Henson, or Phil Georgeff, or Trevor Denman.

In the music business, they would say that Grunder was "blessed with a unique instrument". You heard that voice coming out of a speaker anywhere and, love him or hate him, you knew that it was a race at Tampa Bay Downs.

In that sense, Grunder will be hard to replace.
Speaking of announcers who had really unique vocal tones and were associated with a specific track, the first one that comes to my mind is the late Ross Morton, Mr. Gulfstream, with that rich baritone voice. It's unfortunate that he was prone to flubs, for which they eventually ran him out town. But at his best, he was a pleasure to listen to.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most