Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #58
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Conflict, not really, but certainly plenty of discussion. At the outset we still had the scale slanted too far towards Euros. I think there was some bias towards the UK horses on the other side of the pond.

It actually worked great as shippers kept coming over and would have 10+ point edges. The good news was they kept winning, the bad news was it was obviously too much of a spread. They weren't that much better. We adjusted a few times over that first year and got it where it should be. It is something we monitor constantly. I've found as turf racing has grown in importance here the gap has narrowed.

The two sticking points are the weight for age part of the ratings and Lasix in my opinion. We take the weight for age out of the Timeform ratings so as to be similar to our scale. Lasix is the wild card. I rarely ever use horses shipping in that don't get Lasix. Get burned every once in a while, but it has paid dividends with shorter priced horses over the years.

that's a great answer thanks.
i was able to line all the countries up that i worked on, but that did not mean the numbers always transferred well because of travel and local conditions.
not sure how it would go now that stuff is happening way more as i am basically out of it these days.
steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)