Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
My opinion on the interesting Turfday question mainly lies in what players are used to. It is really hard to change behavior for groups of bettors. As we see from the HANA survey, or even the little survey here, upwards of 80% of bettors have played for 25 years or more. You get your habits and those habits are hard to break. NYRA and Cal have players who are married to the circuit and will play it with smaller fields, or less quality racing, or even if takeout goes up like it has. A smaller, or less popular track is fighting an uphill battle when they make changes, or even if they offer a good product out.

I think it is why tracks are unwilling to change, or show more fight for new customers - their old ones hang around through thick and thin. The problem with that, of course, is they do not last forever.

I think what MTH has done is nothing short of outstanding. They got existing players to notice their track. It is no small feat with our demographics and habits which have formed over decades, imo.

You're right on the money. I was married to California racing for decades but they way I look at it now they filed for divorce a few years ago due to irreconcilable differences.

Nobody loved California racing more than me but at some point you have to do what you think is best for yourself and play where you feel you have the best chance to win. For me it's gonna be Monmouth the rest of the meet. I do best on a one mile oval with a dirt surface and always have. Anything I play besides that will be in spots.

Last edited by andymays; 05-25-2010 at 11:47 AM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)