Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into this. Without more information you really don't know if the horse was lame or if the trainer didn't want to run for whatever reason and called the vet and said my horse was coughing this morning. I have seen horses scratched with nothing being actually wrong with the horse. Unless you can get some reliable backside info, you will never know.

Wow Green 80, you nailed it.

The confusion for customers is not having any idea WHAT the scratch really was. It is a VET scratch so it seems like it must be important to know about?
But in reality, not at all.

It could be the horse was dead lame from a foot infection, so no big deal and in 3-4 days the horse training perfectly again or it could be that the horse is lame from a chipped knee and the horse is a mess or the horse could be " coughing" which means it really could be coughing but maybe not, being as coughing is a loophole to scratch. Why? Because if you are the state vet and a trainer says the horse is sick and the bute and pre race keeps any possible temperature down and you (the state vet) makes the horse run and the horse really was sick and falls and hurts itself or other horses or riders including it's own, YOU are liable. Gonna take that risk?

I didn't think so.

The vast majority of info that a customer has is very important but some pieces of info are not only useless but can work against you because it is a total guess and picking winners is enough of a guess to begin with without having just enough info to fool yourself.

Green 80 is totally right.

My suggestion is to ignore it.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement