Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Florida Derby
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #112
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Man this stuff just irritates the heck out of me. SB gets the 1st post in the Holy Bull and is urged to the lead because of that post position, then gets caught by a track record winner, and all of a sudden he can't go 1 1/16m, and certainly not longer?

In the FD, again in the 1st post, which I have watched over and over the last couple of days, shortly after the break, Rosie's head turns to the right, she sees the 3 and the eventual pace setter coming over and almost immediately stood up in the saddle and SB's head comes up. I didn't notice that until today. Rosie obviously saw what was fixing to happen and she made the conscious decision to not go for the lead. I finally found a statement by Pletcher where he said they made the decision, before the race, that they would not send SB early, I assume because of what happened in the Holy Bull. That made Rosie's decision easy, let SB get hemmed in on the rail. That, IMO, was the move that prevented SB from having any kind of chance at all, not that he would have won the race if he'd been on the lead (we'll never know that, either way), but when you put an early horse on the rail, in very close quarters, and behind a slow pace, you are putting him in a very stressful position. As we all know, stress can be just as tiring as a fast pace. I attribute SD's lack of kick to, either needing a rest, or to that early, and continuing, close quarters stress behind a slow pace (24 and change).

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see SB in a classic distance race, at some point in the future.
If you see him in one, toss him out. The one hole was an advantage in the Holy Bull. There was no Merit Man in the race. There was no blistering pace. Short run to the turn, and the short finish line. If you are considered the best horse going in, and can't win under optimal circumstances, you clearly are overrated.

The field from the BC Juvenile has been exposed.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement