Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 12:18 PM   #56
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
Your first sentence in this post says everything in a nutshell about why the state got involved and sided with the horseman. Larger purses just encourages money from outside the state to poach purse money from local farms and horseman. MD racing isn't, nor never was, on the same level as New York and Kentucky. We are for one weekend in May. Many of our farms were once owned by large financiers that were a large part of racing in New York. They are important to racing history in MD. They are the reason we have an infrastructure of not only thoroughbred, but other segments of competitive horse competition. Most of the people involved in this infrastructure are only a few miles from Pimlico. My point is this is why it’s beneficial for the state to invest in Pimlico. MD’s biggest celebration is Preakness. I know on the national scene it’s one race, but it’s a big thing for us. It’s worth it to us. Hopefully a rebuilt Pimlico will bring the crowds levels back to the event. Kentucky has put a lot of money into Churchill and it’s working for them. New York is in the middle of doing the same thing. I hope it works for them just the same as it works for MD.
Totally agree! Just hope they turn the grandstand and get rid of that shadow that casts across the last 1 /16th.
Plenty of room to do all that but I did hear that Sinai hospital wants to buy some land for more parking but that could be the unused space way beyond the far turn.
And two turf courses or one very wide one for plenty turf racing please.

The DC International was a fabulous event before the breeders cup came along. How great would something like that be to have reborn as a prep for the Breeders Cup Turf ?
Now I am dreaming .
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)