Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #22
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I was playing 1-2 No Limit today at the Red Rock.

I think I played the hand correctly and just got unlucky but you tell me.

Start of the hand I had about $495.00

I was the big blind.

The two who ended up playing after the flop were a guy with $67.00 two seats to my left and the small blind who had about $425.00

5 way limped pot. I saw a flop with 2-5 off suit.

The flop comes A-3-4 two spades.

The small blind acts first and bets $18.00. While I'm thinking of what to do with my straight the guy to the left of me acts out of turn and puts his $67.00 all in.

I surmise the dealer can't answer the question I have so I call the floor and ask what plays or plays I can make that will force him to leave his $67.00 in the pot. I'm told that the only play I can make is to flat call the $18.00. So that's what I do.

After a short bit of thought the small blind calls the $67.00.

I shove for $477.00

The small blind thinks about it for 3 minutes or so and calls.

He has J-7 of spades

The 9 of spades comes on the turn and I lose.

Correct me if I'm wrong but his call was really bad for two reasons. One, we was only getting about 7/5 on his money.

Further compounded by the fact I don't think he ever considered that I might have better spades. And perhaps toughest to deal with is. After the question I asked the floor the small blind dude should have anticipated I was likely to shove based on the way I formed the question.

I know I was only about a 2-1 favorite so I'm not crying that I lost to a huge suck out.

What I hate is I think I'm correct in saying that his call was HORRIBLE

What say you guys?

I think your math is pretty much spot on as well as your thinking that his calling your shove was a BAD move.

I used an on-line poker calculator, and gave the third player pocket Aces. Post flop the odds for you were .379 and the eventual winner .261 (2.83 to 1). His shove of $358 into a pot of $510 shows he is only getting about 1.42 to 1 odds, or about 1/2 the minimum required mathematically in order to consider making a call. Yup, definitely a very bad call.

There is of course "good" news and "bad" news.

The good news is that if this is a regular behavior with this player, someone is going to benefit from it in the future.

The bad news is that when a similar opportunity occurs again in our current game, we have been dealt hands like 27o and 49o and have long-since tossed them in.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)