Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 08:05 PM   #32
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
This was 30 years ago in SoCal but there was a bright 10 year old girl who had 3 other siblings who was a friend of my friend's daughter. The unmarried parents lived together and never worked. The daughter knew the families finances and didn't mind sharing. She asked me how much I pay for rent. I told her I owned and paid $825 a month, she said there rent was $75, section 8 of course. See also passed on the welfare and food stamp benefit numbers.
Doing some quick math and also realized they get free healthcare, knowing taxes that family was getting the equivalent of a person making $20 an hour working 40 hours a week. In that city at that time that is what a skilled tradesman would make if they worked for someone else. I was about to go on my own full time and was making $28 an hour, but I drove 90 miles round trip into the big city for it and that was top non union pay.
I totally acknowledge that there ARE indeed disadvantaged people and families, and these programs help them.

But there is also that widening hole that people can make way with working less and receiving more. And who can blame them? It's the SYSTEM that allows it. There are times where I've ran the numbers on my wife or myself staying home with our daughter so we can ditch daycare back when she was in full time daycare. It's insane.

Politicians promise and give "free" stuff--it's hard to ever take it away.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)