Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 11:34 PM   #14
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Give Me HAW & AP

I love attending the races live at Hawthorne. I know the neighborhood isn't the prettiest, and the industrial sites nearby don't look nor smell very good, either. It is what they do for the players that has me loving that place, and overlooking their faults.

They have a wonderfully remodled Handicapping/Business Center there that is like a second home for me. My good friend Scott McMannis runs it, and is there every day of the live TB meets, reviews the card at the begining of the day, and is there to answer questions. There are plenty of new tables inside, and they have T1 connections so you can bring your laptop PC and get online. Plus they have a PC set up for the public to use as well. Big screen TVs + hands on access to the Video Library, you can review the replays as often as you want. If you need to make a copy or send a fax, they have equipment available right there in the room too (sponsored by Des Plaines Office Equipment). A number of friendly regulars and subscribers of Scott's are usually there.

They have free handicapping tournaments nearly every weekend, with a cash prize final round at the end of every month for those who qualified during the month (pick 2 winners out of 6 on any Sat. or Sun. to qualify for the Sat. or Sun. finals). Usually $2,500 worth of prizes given away on the last Sat & Sun. of the month.

Free contest every meet to win a new car (compliments of Mancari Chrysler/Plymouth). One of our buddies from the Handicapping Center won a brand new Dodge Caravan last spring. Others from the group have come close at various times.

(This next paragraph I wrote in another recent post
Hawthore and National Jockey Club(Formerly Sportman's Park) have a great ontrack rewards program - after acheiving point totals, essentially 4% returned for betting the live races, 2% on the simulcasts. Makes the live WPS pools 17% - 4% = 13% for ontrack players using their card (in contrast to IL OTB's where 17% + 2.5% IL Surcharge = 19.5% takout). Bonus points awarded on many occasions, like when the Bears cover the spread, when Carolina the underdog covered the spread in the Super Bowl, etc. (250 free points if you made any bet that day with your card ) 10,000 points for a $200 voucher. 2 points per $1 bet on live HAW races, 1 point for the simulcasts.

As for AP, yes, that is the pretty one! Plus about 50% of the fans are women! Plenty of trees and in a nice suburban area about 1 mile from my home. Walk around inside the place and you'd swear you're in a really nice shopping mall. Go outside on the apron on the weekend and see lots of people and the sunshine. Beautiful paddock area. Go to the Park area on Friday Nights with the bands and the Party In The Park, or on Sundays for Family Day, and feel alive and part of something. So for a cooped up workaholic like me, that place sure tends to pick up my spirits.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement