Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Cadillakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManeMediaMogul
Marty Ritt was one of the greatest horseplayers I have ever known. He could sit for days waiting for the right spot to wager. He was the ultimate value player as the horse had to be a "square price" or he wouldn't bet it no matter how much he fancied its chances.

Milton Berle was fabulous. He would bring an envelope full of $50 bills and would send me to the windows to bet $50 for him and $50 for me on his selections. Unfortunately, he wasn't a very good handicapper.

Joshua Shelley was a great speed handicapper. He taught me alot about handicapping and a lot about life as well. His mantra was, "No speed, no bet!"

Henry Slate, one of vaudville's Slate Brothers, never handicapped but bet tips and loved chalk. He was hysterical.

Dick Yarmie loved the game and studied the Form every night.

Vic Tayback always had an entourage of horseplayers with him at the track. He took care of those guys. gave them money to bet, fed 'em lunch and then took 'em to dinner. He was a wonderful guy who died way too soon.

Vince Edwards was an asshole who thought he was special.

Elliot Alexander is the king of the whisperers.

Tim Conway is always hysterical. He is just as funny in real life as he is on tv and in the theatre.
I have to tell you that I knew Vince rather well.. Yes, an asshole, a big one..

He had this little tipster Mafia group... where they would exchange all the insider info and talk like wise guys... I sat behind one of his best tip-sources in the SA box seats.. They are going back and forth... "It's the 2 - Jerry says the 2 is a lock." "Nah, Sonny says Randy loves the 5." Bla bla bla..

I had a friend in the box.. He is pretty impressed a movie star is standing three feet away from him... But I'm fed up with the distraction, so finally, I speak up, saying to my friend loud enough for everybody to hear... "Don't pay no attention to those guys.. their full of sh*t". So Vince, being the angry man, says, What the f*** you talking about? "You heard me", I said.. He says aggressively, So who do you like smart guy". Well, I answered him...

Unfortunately, my horse won... Thereafter Vince tabbed me as an insider...

I gave him only generic advice because I didn't really want to assist him in any way. He was perhaps the rudest man I ever met... He would cut in front of people in the cashier or seller line.. and sometimes get in pushing matches and threaten violence right there in line.. One time I had a girl with me... and Vince walks up and starts blabbin away.. She says, Wow, isn't that guy a movie star.. He's your friend?". I answered, "Hell no. That guy is an f****** idiot..

Vince called me "HEY" and generally addressed me in a somewhat, "You're a peasant, I'm a king" mode.. What a d*ck he was/is... and without a doubt, the biggest, addicted, losing gambler I ever encountered
Cadillakin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)