Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
ManeMediaMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillakin
Yeah, and Walther Matthau too. He loved horse racing like few others...

One of his great quotes on gambling.. paraphrasing "The most enjoyable thing in the world is betting a winner. The second best thing is betting a loser"

Also, IMO, he and Marty Ritt made the best and most realistic horse racing movie ever in Casey's Shadow.....

And finally, one of my favorite horse quotes of all time in the movie, Little Miss Marker. "Lady, your horse has no speed... and then he tires"
Marty Ritt was one of the greatest horseplayers I have ever known. He could sit for days waiting for the right spot to wager. He was the ultimate value player as the horse had to be a "square price" or he wouldn't bet it no matter how much he fancied its chances.

Milton Berle was fabulous. He would bring an envelope full of $50 bills and would send me to the windows to bet $50 for him and $50 for me on his selections. Unfortunately, he wasn't a very good handicapper.

Joshua Shelley was a great speed handicapper. He taught me alot about handicapping and a lot about life as well. His mantra was, "No speed, no bet!"

Henry Slate, one of vaudville's Slate Brothers, never handicapped but bet tips and loved chalk. He was hysterical.

Dick Yarmie loved the game and studied the Form every night.

Vic Tayback always had an entourage of horseplayers with him at the track. He took care of those guys. gave them money to bet, fed 'em lunch and then took 'em to dinner. He was a wonderful guy who died way too soon.

Vince Edwards was an asshole who thought he was special.

Elliot Alexander is the king of the whisperers.

Tim Conway is always hysterical. He is just as funny in real life as he is on tv and in the theatre.

Last edited by ManeMediaMogul; 05-31-2009 at 09:33 PM.
ManeMediaMogul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)