Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
I think that my understanding of this project is quite fuzzy and if you can provide some more information it might become easier to decide whether if I am interesting or not.

(1) You are mentioning that you have a lot of code. Is there any repository that we can read it and getting a feeling of it?

(2) Do you have any design documents viewing the project from a high level?

(3) Answering to a poster you said that your code has a lot of VB code, something that probably needs to be changed if you want to attract the interest of the open source community who traditionally is allergic to anything coming out of Microsoft.

(4) This kind of a project needs close communication among the team members and definitely cannot be managed in the way you are suggesting in your PM. You say that you rarely use phones, PMs, or personal email, if this is the case you probably need to forget all about open source development, which is based in frequent scrums, on line messengers, skype sessions, one2ones etc.
(1) Not yet. I am currently stripping the trainer portion from a previous app version, so it can be plugged in almost anywhere. Time is an issue. It was not (originally) intended to be separated from the analysis portion of the app.

(2) No. It was originally a semi-collaborative effort by members of a blackjack team, for their own use. Not intended to be celestial in complexity. Intended to make learning a basic set of schemas simple.

(3) I (partially) disagree. Lots of people use Microsoft. Lots of horse race handicappers use Microsoft, especially Excel (which, in turn, uses a subset of Visual Basic). I think if the open-source community knew much about analyzing horse races, much better stuff would already be freely available. If you know of such, please post a link so everyone can take advantage of it.

(4) I (mostly) disagree. I managed (and still occasionally manage) collocated development teams with little more than (occasional) emails and an ftp dump site. If you are familiar with Jarvenpaa and Leidner, you will have a pretty clear idea of what I think about managing collocated development teams:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...080.x/abstract

My interest in developing software is (and has been for quite awhile) in developing software, rather than "close management" or the social aspects of so doing. Good developers are easy to find (and easy to manage). Good managers, MUCH less so.

I could forget about (a conventional approach to the popular notion of) "open-source" software development without much remorse. Perhaps it would be best to operationalize my use of "open-source" as freely available--including code--to pretty much whoever wants it. Nothing more complex than that.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)