Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #46
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Traynor's premise is that programming skills can help you write a handicapping app.

However, if you are a mediocre programmer, is it wise to compete against people who are actually good at programming?

I'm basically talking about the difference between doing something as a hobby and doing it for money. If the latter, you're gonna need some talent.
I think the important thing is what traynor wrote in posts 35 and 36 -- can you use data in a way that gives a handicapping edge. That's really the main thing that sets handicapping programs apart. Dave's HSH program is going to have some proprietary numbers in it, just like Jeff's Jcapper program and Ken's HTR program. If I knew those "algorithms" I could code it -- and I'm not gifted. Is the average person going to be able to create something worthwhile? Probably not, but one never knows. Ninety-five plus percent of 'cappers lose money anyway mostly because they do the same thing losing things over and over, or are not willing to do the work that it takes to succeed. Perhaps by creating their own software they might have a chance to put themselves in the 5% category.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)