Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #67
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
That's pretty impressive, IMHO. Good job. Both you and Baron Star Greg made out all right, considering the competition. Did they have a consolation tourney on Sunday?

Last year when I was there a guy from my table finished up high enough in that to get a check. Another guy at my table was a former winner of the NHC, who didn't qualify, and hung around his buddy at the table. I did okay on Friday with the mandatory races, but was totally wiped out and tanked most of Saturday. It's hard to manually 'cap so many races.

Since you learned a lot this year, you might want to give it one more shot. Last year was my first time qualifying, but the State of Washington shut us out of online tournaments last fall, so I didn't get as many chances to get in. If I move to a more horse racing friendly state, I'll try again.

It's a lot of fun, though I think it would have been easier to win for us wildly erratic handicappers back when it was a two day format. This year there was tons of chalk on Sunday - hard to make a move except downwards.

There were a ton of first timers in the NHC this year, and quite a few names in the finals I didn't recognize. Perhaps there's still hope for us geezers.
They did have a consolation tournament on Sunday. I think a lot of people were gassed by then and only put in a half-hearted effort. If I remember, the guy who won the consolation had a bit over $100 in 10 races.

There was almost no way to beat the leader, Chris Littlemore, given the prices on Sunday. One of the really tough things is potentially having to bet races at tracks you don't often play. For me that was Fair Grounds, Laurel, Oaklawn and Gulfstream. I did a lot of work watching repays before the tournament, and that definitely helped.

I might do it again. I'll make a decision once I recover from last weekend. At least I didn't embarrass myself.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)