Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 11:36 PM   #17
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The small ups and and downs in the economy don't matter and probably won't factor at Saratoga this year at all, but the 2008-2011 period was a disaster for racing overall when we were in a deep recession and jobs hadn't really recovered. We still haven't gotten back to those peak levels. To me that suggests we are still in a large secular decline that was somewhat masked in recent years by the recovery from that recession period.

I haven't seen data going way back, but jobs have to matter, just not right now.

That's why I am very interested to see what happens in the next serious economic decline (that we may be getting close to with the Fed tightening). If it's as bad as the last one and the impact on handle as bad, a lot of tracks are going to be in trouble.

https://www.jockeyclub.com/default.a...tion=FB&area=8
Foal crops never recovered from the 2008 economic crisis (while pretty much everything else in the world did) and has only gotten worse - the big decline in 2021 is really going to impact next year and if we are heading into another economic disaster it will cripple racing unless some drastic changes occur
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)