Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Those tests are pretty weird if you ask me. I go from 140-155 years ago….avg about 150 but that was back when they allowed these tests in schools. I’m told they outlawed them in schools in Ohio. The online ones seem to be extra easy or extra hard.

I think on a good day and a few good guesses could push you into the 170 area when you could really be much less

Those tests are all over the place, the 172 was on a test loaded that had a lot of math and engineering questions. It had stuff with pulleys, belts, gear ratios, crap I could just look at and get the correct answer, since the tests were timed that gave me the edge over someone that would have to use pen and paper, and then there were others that had no idea how to solve the problems.

I can still do math in my head better than most people but I used to be able to beat a calculator. I used to be able to quickly estimate place pay-offs before they posted that stuff. I showed my track buddies how to do it using a calculator, they finally said f-that I will ask you it is faster. No way I could do that anymore. That was a needed skill to decide whether to play a win-place instead of a win bet only. Remember back in the day California had a limited wagering menu compared to the east coast, some races were WPS only.

Another skill I had that would eventually useless was to quickly long hand
mathematical problems that combined trigonometry and geometry, used to program computer controlled metal working machines to make contours. Most people struggled to layout the formulas and then if they did they needed to use a scientific calculator to compute them. I could do a lot of the common functions in my head. That skill was made obsolete with the advances of CAD systems. Sure am glad I did not become a Unabomber.
His math skills being replaced by a computer is what drove him over the edge.

The 128 test I would call a joke, I think someone on LSD would have outscored me. It had as bunch of crap like poetry type garbage and weird word association.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)