Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #55
46zilzal
velocitician

I found some old notes and I believe I know what MIGHT have happened in not showing a photo. It happened twice: when there is NO Photo to be shown and documented, the judges/stewards CALL the order of finish.

First, at little Fraser Downs in Cloverdale B.C., we only had a manual exposure single camera, and it was on the floor UNDER where the computer was located that controlled the images. On days when the lighting at the finish line varied (bight sunshine mixed with clouds) I had to wait until the last minuter to set the exposure (F stop) and then run upstairs hoping that that one would work. I told the judges that ONE DAY, it might happen that I set the F stop for clouds and while the race ran, sunshine moved in since this was only a maual set camera. Sure enough, one day with loads of clouds the exposure was set and the sun came out near the finish. There was no way I could alter it being one floor above the camera. The photo was washed out badly and all the manipulations of the software in contrast alteration could not bring about a acceptable image to show the crowd. So the judges had to call a dead heat since only two sulkies were way out ahead of the field. They all laughed later when I reminded them I had warned them that this make take place.

Second time was at the Woodbine Stardardbred meeting where almost all the races were at night. The quality cameras there had automatic exposure so that was never a problem again like the other example.

On the wall near the computer, was a big button and I discovered that it was getting worn out. Several times I had tried to activate the cameras with it (normal procedure) and it took several repeated pushes to get it to activate. I asked that another switch be brought in to replace it. One race, I turned on the lights and began pushing the buttom earlier than I would have due to this problem: I got nothing and as the field went by, my computer screen was blank.

I explained the problem to the judges, and as it was a very close finish, again they had to call the finish DEAD HEAT but had no photo to differentiate wheter one horse or the other was actually the winner. I later took one of the judges upstairs and showed him, through a few test scans, how difficult it was to activate the cameras from this old button. I checked out the manual for the camera and discovered and alternate way of starting them via a keyboard manuever so I was able to continue to scan that was until the switch was replaced. (They put in a light switch like we all have in your homes that worked like a charm. AGAIN the judges told me that without photographic evidence, they had to call deal heat.

DISTINCT possiblity that a scenario like this happened since NO PHOTO was ever shown: there may have NOT been one or the one captured was of poor quality through technical reasons.

Other thigns: debris can kick up from the track and rarely oculded the areas close to the noses, I have had Canadian Geese in the photos, or shadows from aircraft on final landing to the Pearson International airport about two miles from the track.

» Advertisement