Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #30
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Yeah Zman, it’s upstate too, not as bad but it’s around. Got an Email Monday that a co worker died. They offered grief concealing and the corporate statement in 4 pdf’s. It is depressing.

It’s pretty much gonna run it’s course in NY. I think things will be opening up around Memorial Day weekend or so. I don’t know if Belmont will bother unless they run without fans. You gotta believe concerts, parades and sporting events will be the last things to come back. Once they ramp up testing for anti bodies they can start models of herd immunity. They don’t know people are getting it twice or if it’s dormant for a while in the body. The numbers could be many times the reported cases. But gatherings of thousands will be the final phase. Right now you gotta be worried nothing happens this summer.......I am .
I know, it is terrible.

As far as racing, if it does resume this spring at Belmont you can bet there will be no fans there. And as far as Saratoga goes, I could see racing remaining at Belmont for the entire summer if the downstate COVID cases do not come down drastically for two reasons:

1) The amount of people needed to move upstate and back down again would be difficult to pass muster with health officials, especially since racing is not considered an essential business

2) Local upstate health departments want people coming from downstate to self-quarantine for 14 days. Right now it hasn’t been pushed, but I could see a major problem with local authorities if a bunch of horsemen try to go from Aqueduct/Belmont to Saratoga.

I strongly believe that upstate will open before downstate does, but I also envision that downstaters will essentially become unwelcome upstate in the beginning.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)