Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 01:12 PM   #60
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
As you might imagine I'd have little interest in that specific bet. Two evenly matched horses in a match up bet at -115 is what I'm personally after. With that being said I'm open to a lot other types of bets being offered. They might have to weed out what doesn't result in a net increase. I'm just grateful someone is open to trying some new things because this whole long horizontal, ticket construction mantra we've been hearing has been and always will be a road to nowhere for the general public IMO. For some subset of people it's fine and I'm glad those folks already have what they want plus have the time to thoroughly handicap 48 horses.
I highly doubt you will see anything less than -130 on each side on a regular race day. Bookmakers will be very vulnerable even at -115. That is about 11.5 % on a 2 horse field (at -130). Maybe they will do -120. Takeout on a whole field needs to be below 11.5%. Also just because it is on an app in front of a sports bettor doesn't mean he is going to bet it. This add on type wagering can definitely play a big part in boosting revenues in this industry but not until they reverse course and fix pricing. That is the point I am trying to drive home.

Yes theoretically you can put up a prop on fridays 7th at Santa Anita, Hopkins vs Ginobli head to head. A place like fan duel/tvg could do like a 10 minute stint analyzing the 2 horses, showing replays, having experts give their opinions... The app can feature a link to free past performances for the 2 horses with expert analysis et. But if you are not a horse player I just do not see the appeal. Maybe a few might become interested. But for this type of wagering to really take off requires introducing a whole lot of new blood into racing. That is the point I was making earlier. You have the fix the pricing across the board, introduce this sport to millions and props like this can be hugely successful. But you are also dealing with cannibalizing your other pools. If I bet 200 on Ginobli, I may not want to bet him straight or key him in the exotics......If racing is partnering with fan duel, did my betting him with fan duel help or hurt their bottom line with me in this race? Maybe I would have bet more had I not had that option and racing would have made more money off me without that option. But then again some sports bettor might have looked through the pps and made a bet he would have never made had he not be given the opportunity. So yes there is a lot of promise to this idea, but it would work so much better if they fixed the pricing across the board. Also the more popular this type of betting becomes the more likely they do bring the take down to -115 or even -110 one day. But also keep in mind that fan duel is currently legal in like only a dozen states. In Nevada they can parther with the sports books (i think there are maybe 5 or 6 big ones). Also, are they going to be able to legalize and provide it at ADW's (nyra/twinspires/xpressbet/amwager etc)?

Here is how I envision this on everybody with a sports book app. Some kind of alert (you can have customers opt in to a text alert). Head to head horse racing bet, race begins in 20 minutes. Free past performances here, free expert opinions here, bet here and of course watch live here. This could actually be very effective in introducing the game to new blood. If they are willing to take the risk and offer these bets at -110 or even -115, knowing that this will attract lot of new interest in the game, so much better.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)