Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
headhawg
crusty old guy

AFAIK Nathan still supports ES, but doesn't have any plans to release a version 7. The latest (very stable) version -- 6.0.0.17 -- came out in 2010. The forums are not real active but also not totally dead. The dedicated users there are very supportive.

It used to be my favorite program. Lots of good stuff in it -- great UI, and lots of handy features like the File Organizer and several PP display options (including our own JR's Magic Marker!). ES also has a way to create custom formulas. This is one of the best features, but does require a basic understand of programming. And users would share their formulas which was cool. That was one of my favorite things about it. Optionally you can purchase an additional module (DB Direct) that lets you export data from ES into an Access database for more research capability.

So, why is it no longer my favorite? Short answer is I don't handicap much anymore. To make ES a viable program requires that you create a database. You need Bris data and results files. (I think it now works with .jcp files.) If you only play a track or two then it's not too bad in terms of affordability. Beyond that it gets pretty expensive imo. And you can't mix files because the data is different. If you commit to Bris .drf you have to stay with it or start a brand new database with you new data files. And users really need to d/l all of the races for each track even on days that you might not play. So if you're a weekend warrior or only play on occasion, ES probably is not right for you. And it pains me to type that as Nathan is a great guy (from what little I know of him) and ES is a really, really good program. It's just not for everyone.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement