Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
posted by Tom -
Quote:
As long as racing can be extortioned, they will never outlaw it. This is just chest pounding with one hand while the other is in racing's pocket.
posted by Swetyejohn -
Quote:
This is just sabre rattling by bureaucrats trying to justify their positions...
I hope to God you guys are right.

I live in San Diego - Pacific Beach actually. About a quarter mile from my place there's this little bar right on the beach called Lahaina Beach House. Barstools outside on a wooden deck. Every day around sunset the place gets pretty packed. Energetic crowd. Girls everywhere. One of my favorite things to do after a winning week is walk down there, sit on the deck, throw back a Corona or two, and watch the sun set. Nice way to end a "workweek." I think about stuff when I watch the sun set. Once in a while I think: What if Prohibition were still enforced? Could anyone in Washington really be stupid enough to think the combination of beer and a wooden deck and girls and a sunset be evil enough that it deserves to be outlawed? And yet, for a while at least, it was.

Bills like this just prove to me how far away from reality those in Washington can become. If racing fans everywhere just sit back and do nothing out of pure apathy - and this passes - then we have nobody to blame but ourselves. It may not seem like much but each of us does have a voice. Express your opinion. Let them know what you think. Don't give in to apathy.

Take 15 minutes and write.

-jp

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)